Unlucky

Sayo and Moca were off doing their own things. Sayo had gone to check up on Hina. Moca went to see how Afterglow were doing.

Rokka was holed up in her room. She was terrified. She had no idea when he would come for her. She just had to keep an ear out for him. That was easier said than done.

Every little noise spooked her. She jumped at the slightest creek. Rokka was holding a blanket tightly. It was something to try and help comfort her. It wasn't working too well, though.

Rokka heard footsteps. She gulped and cowered behind a dresser. She tried to steady her breathing. This could be the end if she wasn't careful.

"Lock? You home?"

Rokka felt no relief. Masuki being here with her was not a good thing. She would get hurt too. But, how could she get her to leave?

"Y-yeah." Rokka came out of her hiding spot.

Masuki opened the door to her room. Rokka tried to smile, but failed. Her nerves were too much to hide.

"You alright? You seem pretty spooked." Masuki asked as she sat down beside her.

Rokka nodded, "I'm fine. You just… startled me."

"I know that's a lie." Masuki eyed her up.

Rokka gulped. She was going to say something when a loud bang resonated throughout the house. Both her and Masuki jumped. Rokka knew who was making those sounds. He had arrived.

That wasn't good. Masuki was still here. Rokka didn't know what to do. It was too late for her to leave. He was already in the house.

"What was-"

Rokka quickly threw her hands over Masuki's mouth. She held a finger to lips and then tugged her toward the dresser. She hid behind it and hoped Masuki would get the message.

The door burst open. Masuki protectively threw her arms around Rokka. They both hid out, praying he wouldn't find them.

"I know you're here, Rokka." The man called.

He shoved the dresser to the side. Both of them screamed. The man growled at the sight of Masuki. He hadn't planned for there being someone else around.

"Be lucky I'm feeling generous." The man growled as he grabbed Masuki.

Masuki fought against him. The man wasn't fazed by the attacks. He slammed her into the wall as hard as he could. It knocked her out.

Rokka yelped as the man turned to her. He smiled sadistically.

"Now, shall we begin?" He pulled out a knife, "I quite like the thought of taking out your heart."

Rokka tried to run for the door, but he caught her. Rokka screamed as she kicked as hard as she could. The killer tossed her onto the floor. He held her down as he thrust his knife into her chest.

Rokka screamed in pain as she started cutting. He cut a very sloppy circle out of her chest. Rokka had started coughing up blood. Her mouth was filled with it.

She could barely breathe and was hanging on just barely. She wished she could pass out. It would be so much better. She wouldn't have to suffer through this horrible pain.

"Don't worry. It'll be over soon." The man chuckled, "Time to take out your heart."

He cut the arteries. Rokka finally blacked out. The killer removed her heart and tossed it out into the open. He glanced at Masuki.

"What a wonderful present you'll wake up to, right?" He laughed and then left.

Masuki groaned in pain. She winced as she pushed herself into a sitting position. Her head was killing her. Masuki blinked to clear her vision.

She wished she hadn't. Masuki let out a scream as she saw the scene before her. She threw up at the sight. Masuki shakily pushed herself to her feet and left the room.

She sunk down to the floor and tried to even out her breathing. She fumbled for her phone and called the police.

It was then that Moca showed up. Moca felt horrible. She had failed again. Rokka was dead. Moca frowned as she watched Masuki.

Should she try and appear? Moca knew she should be able to. If Sayo managed then she should be able to manage it too. But, was it wise? Should she just watch?

Moca hesitantly appeared. Masuki jumped. She calmed a little when she realized Moca wasn't a threat.

"Um… hey?" Moca wasn't sure what to say, "I'm sorry… I thought for sure the plan we made would've worked."

"It's my fault… I messed it up." Masuki mumbled, "Because I came over."

"How are you alive? I thought he would've killed you too." Moca asked.

Masuki shrugged, "I don't know. He just said he was feeling generous and then knocked me out."

"Well, at least two lives weren't lost. It could've easily ended up that way." Moca didn't think that was going to make this situation any better, but she said it anyway.

The police showed up. Moca sighed. She vanished from sight. She watched as they did their job.

"Hey."

Moca turned around. Sayo had come.

"Hey…"

"He was caught." Sayo stated.

"How?" Moca asked.

"They found him walking down the street with blood all over him." Sayo said, "And his assistant gave a description so he was easy to identify."

"So, it's over?"

"Yeah…"

"Well, shall we go see where Rokka and Kaoru are? Might as well welcome them to the afterlife." Moca asked.

"I guess." Sayo agreed.

The two of them vanished and went to the other side. While they felt glad that the killer had finally been caught, nothing would lighten their hearts. Four lives were lost to him in such a short time. And now everyone else had to suffer from their deaths.

And, three people had permanent scars. Permanent emotional scars.

Ran, because she had found Moca. Hina, because she found Sayo and watched Kaoru die. And Masuki, because she saw Rokka. Those three had to live with those images for probably the rest of their lives. To live with the guilt of not being fast enough.

Unfortunately, not every story has a happy ending.