Chapter 11 | Captain Nicholls

Start from the beginning

Kicking Gail foreword, we walk carefully through the square; bodies quickly stepping aside. Women hold tightly to the men, some crying, some proudly rejoicing. I don't want to have to feel this.

"Katherine!" comes a call from my right.

Pulling Gail to a halt, I snap my head around to find the voice. But my gaze falls to him immediately.

"James Nicholls!" I yell, shoving the reigns around my saddle horn as I begin to dismount, "I can't believe you!"

Quickly, he rushes to my side and helps me down, a humorous grin lining his face.

"I don't see what's so funny," I frown, folding my arms away from his opening embrace.

"I'm sorry, Katherine." He can't help but chuckle, "I didn't mean to upset you."

"Well you di-"

"Captain Nicholls!"

"What? Captain? James!"

"I'm sorry, darling," he suddenly frowns, turning towards the approaching officer, "It was going to happen eventually."

"Captain Nicholls," a decent-looking Brit nods as he stops in front of James, "I hope your not considering to bunk out."

"Not so soon, anyways," James lightly laughs, "My wife is trying to abduct me."

"Well, we wouldn't want that," he states squarely, "I came to inform you that you've been placed as Captain under my regiments. All squadrons and nurse vehicles will be moving out at dawn in one week precisely. We head to the next county east, bright and early. There will be assemblies held for the officers over the remaining week, you will be informed of when and where, and expected on time, James."

"Of course, Jamie," James replies solemnly with an concurring nod.

Jamie smiles, nodding his head in my direction, "Lovely meeting you, Mrs. Nicholls."

James nods farewell as Jamie leaves, and turns back to me, "Katherine, I can explain everything."

"James..." I whisper, finally noticing his change of clothing; an olive green uniform with gold buttons and an officer's cap. "Why did you do this?"

"I knew you would forbid me to come within ten miles of the square if I had told you."

"I love you, James. And you know that," I explain through quivering lips, "I don't want to lose you."

"I know, I'm sorry," he apologizes, wrapping me up in his comforting embrace, "But the war is taking everything from everyone. We all have civil duties to fulfill, and this is mine."

"The war will kill you, James. I just got you."

"Don't think I'll let it take me so easily," he chuckles half-heartedly, "The word is this won't last half a year, and I'll be home before you have time to notice I ever left."

"Let's hope the word is true," I sigh, tightening my hold around his waist.

"Let's not fret while we don't have to. I have one week left with you, Katherine," he says as he pushes out of the embrace to look down at me, "I don't want it to be wasted worrying over what is yet to come."

"It won't be wasted," I promise.

Gently, he takes my arms from his waist and wraps his around my shoulders, leading me away from the bustling square.
I look back at the dozens upon dozens of fresh soldiers, smiling as if they had an eternity of lives ahead of them. I wonder how many of them will actually make it out alive; how many will die the first battle.

Losing James is something my mind will never be able to comprehend; I can't imagine living in this world without him now. But his life now hangs at the edge of a thin string, dangling with only the hope of mercy in these crumbling times.

A bright glimmer reflecting off a newly-cleaned window catches my attention, so I crane my neck around to glance at its display. A long, polished rifle with a shiny barrel and smooth, oaken wood. How easy it is to imagine the tip of that gun at a firm point to James' head. One tiny movement and his life could be ended.

I shiver at the thought.

James snaps his head down to me. "Are you cold, Katherine?"

"No," I shake my head, smiling. "I'm alright."

Was I lying to James, or to myself?

A/N

So, Captain James Nicholls it is. For better or for worse. And Katherine is afraid it's for the worse. Weeeee'll see!

Vote if you liked it, don't vote if you didn't like it, and comments are absolutely fantabulous.

- 〽️iddleAsgard, at your service.