Chapter 5

(Picture: Barney Ross)

-2 days later-

Gunnar sat in the back of Barney's plane, absentmindedly playing with a Rubik's Cube as Caesar and Harry ate a meager lunch. Christmas was up front with Barney, playing copilot.

"So, you like me huh?" Gunnar asked nonchalantly.

Both Caesar and Harry choked on their food, making Barney turn around and give his soldiers a look.

"Any problems back there?"

"No. W-we're fine!" Harry shouted back, composing herself. To Gunnar, she added, "Keep dreamin, soldier."

In hindsight, Harry should have realized that being coy probably wasn't the best course of action - she'd known that he would probably be pissed off.

"Don't...lie to me!"

Harry and Caesar both jumped as Gunnar stood and stepped closer to Harry, grabbing a fistful of her long brown hair quicker than they thought he could move.

"Gunnar! Ow!"

The large Swede had a good-sized fistful of Harry's hair by now and was holding her head to the wall of the plane.

"Oy! Cut it out!"

Lee Christmas abandoned the cockpit and helped Caesar pull Gunnar, who very nearly overpowered both of them, off of a bewildered-looking Harry. The whole plane shook as Barney landed and sped into the hangar as fast as he could, turning afterwards to gauge the chaos in the back.

And what chaos it was.

Caesar had a roaring Gunnar in a headlock, and Christmas was frantically trying to help Caesar restrain Gunnar, while simultaneously unsuccessfully comforting Harry, who looked a bit bewildered and tearful. Barney's blood boiled - the only woman on the team, and Gunnar has to give her shit?

"Hey! Gunnar!"

Barney pulled back and punched Gunner square in the mouth.

"Put him in the goddamn Cage!" He roared.

"No..."

A small noise of protest escaped Harry's lips.

Barney gave her a pitying look and grabbed Gunnar's hair, pulling his head around so she could see it. "You sure?"

Harry studied his face. It was nothing like the Gunnar she'd met days ago. This new person was completely unstable. Animal. Strung-out. Harry's eyes narrowed.

"Put him in. But...only for a few hours."

"Hear that, asshole? You'll get out in four." Christmas hissed, appalled, as he and Caesar shoved him into the cell and locked the door. The rest of the troop stood in silence for a moment, before Barney and Harry spoke in sync.

"Who's up for a drink?"