“Olly! Olly!” Libby cried out loud, staring at the center of the arena. “Daddy, you have to help my Olly!”

Austin stilled. She called him daddy. He didn’t process anything else other than the fact that she called him ‘daddy’. He never expected the surge of emotion he felt from just hearing that one word roll off of his little girl’s lips. “What…what did you call me?”

Libby was now trying to get out of his arms. “Olly,” she cried again. “Olly’s hurt. Help him, daddy.”

This time when she spoke, Austin heard her every word.Olly? Oliver? He turned around and as soon as he spotted what Libby was looking at, his stomach heaved and he pushed her head tight against his chest. He didn’t want her to see what he was seeing. Everything suddenly became clear. He had been so concerned about Libby, he hadn’t thought about her rescuer.

There was so much blood. Blood was everywhere. It completely covered Oliver’s face and from where Austin was sitting it looked like his arm was bent at an unnaturally awkward angle. The sounds of sirens in the distance blared louder as the paramedics started to arrive.

A teary eyed Jade squatted down in front of him and held out her arms. She didn’t have to say a word. Their gazes collided and everything that needed to be said passed through the air between them. With his arms empty, Austin let out a shuddering breath and released Libby to Jade before falling back against the railing.

Oliver had been the one to save his precious angel. He was the one that jumped the fence and grabbed Libby before she had the opportunity to hit the ground and get trampled. He put his own body in the way of imminent danger and because of that; he was the one that had been trampled instead. Austin felt numb at the realization. How was he supposed to thank a man for saving the life of his daughter; especially when the price for his heroism just may have well been his own life?

*****

Oliver hurt. He hurt all over. His face felt like it had been beaten with a frying pan and not just any frying pan either. One of those cast iron skillets. Heck, even his toe nails ached and that was saying a lot. He struggled to open his eyes. It took him a few minutes to pry them open and when he finally did, he realized that wherever he was, it was dark. There was a low hum in the background with a few moderated high pitched beeps that didn’t help this monster of headache he was sporting.

“Well hello handsome, it’s about time that you woke up.”

Oliver turned towards the sound of the feminine voice and winced from the small movement.

“Whoa! Slow down there. You’ve been out for a while and I’m sure all those joints of yours are pretty achy about now. I mean for a man of your astute caliber and all.” Oliver felt a cool hand touch his face. He looked up and blinked at the beautiful woman standing over him.

“Who are you?” he managed to croak out. His voice was dry and scratchy like it hadn’t been used in a while. He tried to clear his throat.

“My name is Lyla Cooper. I’m your nurse silly.” She stepped out of his line of sight and for just a minute, he almost panicked at the loss until she quickly returned where he could see her again.

“Nurse?”

“Yes sir, I’ve been your nurse for the last month and a half. Here,” she placed a straw at his lips. “Take small sips and drink slowly, we wouldn’t want you getting sick on your stomach too, now would we?”

Oliver did as he was instructed. He took the straw between his lips and sipped, thankful for the cool comfort that the water gave his throat. When he’d had enough, Nurse Lyla sat the cup on a table beside him.