Chapter 1: Comfort

Start from the beginning

————————————————————

        Around 6:40AM we arrived at Karasuno, making our way to the club room to get changed for our typical morning practice. Tanaka was usually the one responsible for the key, and this time was no different.
He unlocked the club room door, turning the handle and pushing it open.
        I immediately rushed in and started slipping off my clothes and changing into my black shorts and white T-shirt; the normal outfit worn in our team practices.
        "I'm excited for today!" Tanaka stated, changing into his gym clothes as well. "I've been practicing more of my jump serves at home too, and I think I'm starting to really get the feel for it!" He explained passionately.
Since Liberos don't serve, I don't practice it too often; however I do like a nice, difficult serve to receive. I was particularly excited for Yamaguchi's float serve, since I had witnessed it as it slowly but surely improved.
I was so caught up in thinking about volleyball serves that I was slowly forgetting my emotional conversation with Tanaka.... at least, until he asked one question.
        "Hey... Nishinoya?" He asked uncertainly, tapping my shoulder.
"Hm?" I answered with a simple grunt as I attempted to get my knee-pads onto my legs while staring up at him.
He leaned down next to my ear, whispering, "Do you... like anybody on our team? Like, like anyone?"
        I blushed, my body tensing up. I mean, duh. Of course I did. Why else would I have texted him last night having a mental breakdown? Why else would I have confessed my sexuality? I needed his help...
       Nodding casually, trying to avoid anything awkward, I slipped my gym shoes on and stood up.
        He was smirking at me teasingly with one hand on his hip, the other hanging loosely beside him. He was standing in the sort of sassy way that meant if you don't tell me I'm going to start guessing, and it's not going to be quiet.
        "Is it Hinata?" He blurted out loudly.
        "No!" I couldn't imagine being in a relationship with Hinata other than teammates. He just... was too much like me, I guess? I needed someone who's personality complimented mine, not matched.
       "Ennoshita!"
       "No."
        "Is it Daichi?!?"
        "No way!"
        "Kage...yama??"
        I laughed. Imagine crushing on KAGEYAMA! "Hell no!"
        "Come on, Yuu! Tell me!" Tanaka begged. "Is it Kinoshita?!"
        "Nope."
        "Sugawara?!?"
        "No. But it wouldn't be terrible," I told him.
         "Don't tell me!" Tanaka facepalmed himself. "It's not Tsukishima, is it?!"
        "Uh- uh! No way!"
       "Is it Asahi?" He yelled, desperate for the right answer; desperate to hear 'yes'.
        Before I could answer, the door swung open, almost pushing me over if I hadn't jumped back. Hinata rushed in with Kageyama trailing closely behind him.
         Hinata tumbled over onto the floor, excitedly yelling, "HAH! I BEAT YOU KAGEYAMA!"
        Kageyama scowled at him with a gleam in his eye, but stopped when he realized Hinata wasn't looking at him and backed off.
         Them barging in scared the living soul out of my body. At first, I was nervous they heard Tanaka shouting out names and would be skeptical, but they didn't seem to know we were there until Hinata finally greeted us.
        "Hey, Noya-San! Hey Tanaka-San!" the bubbly middle blocker smiled at Tanaka and I.
         Wiping the sweat from my forehead, pretending I was just hot, I greeted my two under-classmen with enthusiasm.
       "Hinata! Kageyama!" I jumped into the air, landing with a loud thud.
        It was just another normal day full of excitement. Nothing changed when I told Tanaka I liked boys too; it was just another day. I was glad. If it was normal for everybody not knowing I was Bi, it would be normal for just Tanaka to know I am. I didn't notice it at first, but I was beaming with happiness.
Now all I need to do is tell Tanaka who I'm into... if he's ready for that. I thought as we made our way out of the club room and into the gymnasium.

———————————————————
Asahi's POV

         We had just finished our practice for the morning and began to stretch out our well-used muscles. I bent down, straightening my legs so that I could stretch my calf muscles. I remembered when I had barely any muscle, when I was a first year. I remember having to do extra calf raises and squats and such just to become more muscular.
       I pressed my hands to the floor beside my water bottle, bending down even more, just enough to make the relaxing, stretching feeling on the back of my knee.
       "Asahi!" I felt a heavy pat on my back. I quickly stood back up straight and looked to the side to see Sugawara.
       "Want to come over to my house with me and Daichi? It's Friday anyways, so you can maybe sleep over..?" Suga asked, leaning in so that he was lower than before. I smiled; I liked going over to Suga's house, it was always so fun, and his parents were always super kind to me. His mom was basically a gourmet chef- or at least her food always tasted like it.
       "Sure thing! I'll just have to get some stuff from my house, then I'll walk over when schools over, ok?" I replied, smiling down at him.
       Suga put both of his hands up energetically for a high-five, ready to jump while doing so. I crouched down to jump, then we both sprung up, slapping our hands together. "Daichi has his stuff already, so we'll walk you to your house too after school, okie dokie?"
       He only says 'okie dokie' when he's excited about something. I nodded as I began to chug the icy cold water from my freshly filled water bottle.
       I tilted my head back and closed my eyes. It was going to be a fun weekend, just hanging out with my best friends.
       Soon we started to clean up, sweeping the floors and putting the volleyballs into the basket. I decided that I would sweep this time, since I hadn't done it in a while. I pushed the broom quickly along the length of the gym in a sort of jog, thinking about what classes I had.
       Suddenly, a certain spiky-haired Libero started trotting beside me, catching up with my pace. "Asahi-San! Your serves just keep getting better!" He complimented me.
       "Thanks, but I still think I should be able to do better," I explained to him, smiling awkwardly.
       "Just ask Coach Ukai! I'm sure he has some kind of advice to give you that could help!" Nishinoya suggested, throwing his hands up into the air in fists.
       "Yeah, I probably should... I think I should ask Kageyama. He seems to have his serves down, so I think it'll be beneficial. Thanks, Nishinoya for the idea!" I replied gratefully, softly smiling down at him.
        Hearing Nishinoya's voice and compliments gave me a warm and happy feeling in my chest. His voice was so soothingly soft at the times when he's not super loud. It was really... refreshing for me.
        He continued speaking with me about... well, something. I wasn't too focused on what he was saying, just giving him the occasional 'cool!', and 'really?' That I always resorted to on the occasions when he's suddenly energetic and I can hardly slip in a response. It was sort of cute of him...
        NOT IN THAT WAY, OF COURSE! I meant that in a friendly way. I don't actually think he's attractive, if that's what you're thinking. I could never! We've been friends for so long... it would kind of seem like breaking some kind of rule or friendship code if I caught feelings. Besides, I'm... not gay.