Chapter 9: Crush

Asahi's POV:

I walked quietly with Nishinoya, the pattering of the rain on my umbrella the only thing to break the silence. I made sure the umbrella covered the two of us nicely so that Nishinoya wouldn't get anymore wet than he already was.
That Takahashi kid really has to back off. If I see him near Nishinoya again I'll.. I'll.. I didn't know what I'd do if I saw him do that again. If only I had got there earlier. Then maybe he wouldn't have gotten so beat up.
        I peeked down at Nishinoya. He had his arms wrapped around himself and his head tucked into the collar of my jacket. He must still be cold. The bruises on his face were becoming more apparent as we walked, but his nose was still bleeding. Oh..
       Without thinking, stopped. I reached out my hand and held the side of his face, making him look up at me.
       His eyes were still watery, and his cheeks rosy from the cold... and also probably from scraping against the cement. I made eye contact with him. Those eyes...
         I quickly retracted my hand.
"S-sorry! It's just," I put Nishinoya's bag on my shoulder and pulled mine down to look through it, "your nose is still bleeding, and your cheek... and you look cold."
       I reached into my bag and pulled out a tissue. "Ah, I'm f-fine Asahi. Seriously," Nishinoya put his hand out and waved it dismissively.
I felt my cheeks get warm. God, why does this happen every time I talk to him? I quickly shoved the tissue into his hand.
       I watched while Nishinoya wiped up his blood, wincing from the pain each time he touched his skin. He was sort of... trembling. Is he really that cold?
Suddenly, Nishinoya clutched his stomach. Was he in pain?
       "Are you ok?!" I quickly put a reassuring hand on his shoulder.
       "Uh... Takahashi threw out my lunch earlier today," Nishinoya whispered, almost sounding embarrassed. I scowled. Of course. I started to wish that I had pounded that guy into the ground.
       Then, I had this amazing idea. "Nishinoya, there's a nice sushi place not far from here. I'll buy you a snack," I smiled excitedly as we started walking again. Yes! He'll love this!
       "Oh, uh, you don't have to do that! I don't want you wasting your money on me," Nishinoya argued.
What? I was appalled. Nishinoya would never pass down an opportunity for free food. He's probably just try big to be polite... be assertive, Asahi! I suddenly remembered when I was sick and I made Nishinoya sit on the couch with me.
        "I... I wasn't offering! This is not an option. You're pretty much starving, now let's go!" I grabbed his arm and began to drag him with me. He followed.

"After you," I opened the door to the sushi shop, then walked in after Nishinoya.
There weren't any other customers inside, so I let him choose a spot while I looked at the menu. 12 piece sushi... that should be enough for him. Maybe I'll get a milkshake or something.
I walked up to the ordering counter, greeted by the one worker there.
"Hello, sir. What can I get for you today?"
I smiled back. "Hi! May I please get the.. the 12 piece sushi tray, and... a small cup of tea?" I placed my order. I payed for the food, then looked around for Nishinoya.
       He was seated in a booth by the window with his head buried in the large sleeves of my jacket.
       "I got you the 12 piece sushi. Will that be enough?" I sat down in front of him in the other seat. He didn't answer.
       I leaned down and put my head on the table beside him, facing towards him.
       He peeked out at me, almost immediately smiling as he sat up. "What? Sorry, I was kind of dozing off."
       I chuckled. "Is 12 pieces of sushi enough?"
       "Any amount is enough if you're doing me a favour," he looked down at the table and fiddled with his fingers.
What? Maybe he thinks this is a chore for me and I don't actually want to spend money. "No, seriously, will that be enough?" I tried to confirm.
      He nodded, resting his hand on his head and starting to stare out the window.
       We sat in awkward silence while we waited for our sushi. Say something, Asahi!
       After a while, I finally remarked, "Does your cheek still hurt lots?" I softened my voice to be more sympathetic. I wanted to brush my fingers against his cheek to remind him that he'll be ok. Wait, what? I realized what I was thinking. No. I... didn't want that. That was sort of... you know.... not like me. I tried to focus on Nishinoya's answer.
       "A little bit. It stopped bleeding though so that's good," he stated. "My nose stopped bleeding too. I don't think it's broken."
        "Good. Maybe get your mom to check it out too. I would hate to see a cast on your nose. Those look weird," I snickered. Nishinoya let out a weak laugh.
       I wondered if he was feeling any better emotionally. I began inspecting Nishinoya. He had dark circles under his eyes, which looked like they were about to fall asleep soon. Noya is probably really tired. I thought to myself. It made sense, though. This day had probably been hell to him with all that went on. He's hurt, soaking wet, and hungry. I reminded myself. I should comfort him more.
       "Do you have your gym shorts? Your pants are still drenched," I suggested.
       He shrugged. "I think they're soaked too. It's ok though. It's just a bit uncomfortable," he lay his head down on his arms again and continued looking out the window.
       I had to stop myself from reaching out and stroking his fluffy hair. I didn't want to seem so... romantic? It seemed a little too much like what a couple would do. Nishinoya and I are just friends. Obviously.
        The guy who was the cashier came up to us and placed the sushi tray and the tea on the table. I thanked him and he left.
       Nishinoya almost instantly began to chomp down the sushi. Of course, with chopsticks. I felt warm inside knowing that Nishinoya was well fed. I grabbed my tea, and stuck the straw into the hole, then began to drink it.
       "Thbkgph yu!" Nishinoya's words were almost incomprehensible with his mouth stuffed like that, but I managed to understand.
       "Of course," I smiled.
————————————————————
Nishinoya's POV: