She's something else.

"Maybe", she says, still laughing, and Lily can't help but to smile widely too.

When Jenine stops, the tallest girl still looks at her, her eyes soft.

"I like cloudy days, anyways. They are calm. I need them, sometimes".

The heartfelt statement leaves the shortest girl with parted lips and a furious blush extending through her face.

The tallest girl keeps smiling, clearly happy with herself, and then moves her body closer to her teacher's.

"Alright. I asked something potentially uncomfortable. You can ask something, too".

Jenine narrow her eyes playfully as she hums.

"Why do you want to become a doctor?" she asks.

Lily's expression falls, and the shortest brunette feels a desperate tug on her heart. She's about to apologize, but the tallest girl speaks.

"My parents want me to become one".

"Oh", is all that Jenine answers, not wanting the shadow that crossed her Lily's eyes to return anytime soon.

The tallest girl drifts her eyes to the clock and sighs loudly.

"I'm sorry. I've got dance practice in ten".

She stands up, carefully moving her chair backwards.

"You dance", Jenine murmurs, surprised, and her student looks at her with a renewed smile.

"Yeah! I can tell you about it... Oh! Are you free tomorrow?"

Jenine doesn't even have to think about it. It's Saturday, and she has already finished her homework for next week. She's definitely free.

So she nods, and the tallest girl blinks twice, almost as if unsure for a moment, before speaking again.

"Do you want to go for some tea in the afternoon?"

She shifts from one leg to another, and Jenine needs some seconds to control the gushing, excited feeling that shakes her heart.

"Oh... yeah. Sure!"

Lily smiles then, absolutely beaming, and quickly searches for a piece of paper.

"Please, write your address and I'll fetch you".

Jenine does so, her chest still tingling.

Once she retrieves her piece of paper, Lily looks at the clock again and hangs her backpack on one shoulder frantically.

"Bye, Jen. See you tomorrow. Thank you!"

As the librarian shushes her, Lily's long legs carry her out of the place.

Jenine is left with an erratic heart, a pen clutched between her fingers, and a happy smile.

-

Jenine waits on the sofa of her living room with her hands clutched in the hem of her flowery dress. Her chocolate hair falls on soft curls she learnt how to do from her mother, and she messes with the tips here and there, trying to ease her anxiety.

She stands up to walk around the room, the dull voices murmuring obscure predictions on the radio making her even more uneasy, so she turns the device off and sits down once again.

It's silly, and the brunette knows it. Her heart shouldn't be palpitating at an almost painful point over the simple prospect of Lily taking out for tea. Correction: Lily going for tea with her. As simple as that. She has been spending hours with her for weeks and weeks already, and she has observed her enough to be able to anticipate her previous unpredictable antics.