Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"My inner being delights in the law of God.

But I see a different law at work in my body—a law that fights against the law which my mind approves of. It makes me a prisoner to the law of sin which is at work in my body."

- Romans 7:22-23

***

April 2007.

I REVIEWED the list and ticked the items I have successfully done since my wife made this;

✔️Read and Study the Bible everyday

✔️Pray in the morning (To praise)

✔️Pray in the evening (To give thanks and repent)

✔️Pray every opportunity that you have.

✔️Go to a worship service with Aya.

Somehow seeing the things that I have done, I felt the sense of accomplishment. I hated this list before because of these items that I thought I will never be doing until my death.

But here I am...

"Santino?" I heard a knock on my study room. It's Aya.

Itinago ko ang listahan, tinabunan ng mga papeles na kailangan kong basahin.

"Come in."

Bumukas ang pinto. "Good morning, handsome! What's your plan for today?"

"Go to work. Maya-maya ay maghahanda na 'ko."

"What are you going to do after that?" Lumapit siya sa gilid ko at umupo sa armrest. Her arm extended over my shoulders.

"I have a dinner with Blair."

"Oo nga pala. Are you prepared?"

"I think so."

Sa nakalipas na mga araw, napagtanto kong kahit gaano ko gustuhing mapatawad agad ng mga anak ko, hindi iyon magiging madali kung bibiglain ko. Since I learned how to pray, there's calmness within me that says to take things slow.

Although death is coming at me, I have to trust the timing...

"Do you know what Blair likes?" I asked my wife.

Mas sumandig siya sakin. Almost half of her weight leaning on me. "Boys."

Nagsalubong ang mga kilay ko. "Ysabella."

She chuckled and and rested her head above mine. "She loves books. She loves reading. Ang alam ko ay may kaibigan pa nga siyang manunulat. She's a wide reader, Santino."

I see. That's why whenever I watch my daughter secretly, she's always reading a book before she hooks up.

"A wide reader... So, she reads everything?"

"Mostly. Pero napansin kong pinakahilig niya ang mga romance novels. English or Filipino."

Hindi na 'ko umimik. Ilang minutong nakasandig lang sa'kin si Aya. Parang kaunti na lang ay kailangan niya nang kumandong sa'kin dahil sa sobrang lapit niya.

"Aya." Hinila ko pababa ang suot niyang night gown dahil nasa kalahati na ng hita niya iyon.

"Hmm?"