Tippy's cultured Southern drawl came through the phone. "Hi, Myrtle! I simply wanted to ask Miles a question about the book. Something confused me and I thought I should get it straightened out before trying to read any more. Is Newson really the father of Elizabeth-Jane? And ... I thought he was dead! Isn't he dead? Did I miss something?"

Miles glanced over at Myrtle and shook his head.

Myrtle said, "It's a book with plenty of twists and turns and surprises, Tippy. I don't want to spoil it for you."

Tippy's disappointed voice indicated that a spoiler was precisely what she wanted. "I see. It's just that I think I might have missed something. I was skimming a little."

"This probably isn't the best book to skim," said Myrtle. "But we'll be discussing it soon, anyway. You're on the right track." She crossed her fingers at the fib. The last thing she wanted to do right now, though, was to prematurely discuss the book. Their book club always did so much better when they were reading beach books.

Tippy now, perhaps suspecting that her reading acumen was in question, quickly decided to change the subject. "I understand that you were part of that awful business last night. Are you all right?"

"You mean the murder? Yes, Miles and I are fine. Although it was quite startling. You'll see my full write-up of it in the paper when my story is published tomorrow," said Myrtle.

Tippy said, "It's very sad that none of us had the opportunity of getting closer to Neil and Clara. They were new neighbors and yet they didn't seem very connected in the community. Although you might have had a different experience since you lived on their street."

"No, I didn't really know them, either. Nor did Miles. I had the impression that they preferred it that way. Some people like keeping to themselves."

Tippy said, "I'd tried to invite Clara Albert to book club. I told her that it was a very lively, congenial group and that we had thoughtful discussions on literature."

In other words, Tippy flat-out lied to Clara. "Well, I'm sure she appreciated the invitation," said Myrtle.

"I also invited her to be part of the League, church circle, Women of the Church, garden club, and the patrons of the art museum," added Tippy thoughtfully.

So Tippy had tried dragging Clara kicking and screaming into Bradley society—such as it was. Clara had all the appearance of money and education, which would make her the perfect target for Tippy's efforts to socialize her. Although sometimes Tippy chose more unusual targets.

"Speaking of the church, I mentioned your name yesterday in a committee I was in. I thought you'd be marvelous as our Vacation Bible School chair for next summer. Especially with all your experience teaching," said Tippy.

Tippy was just about as bad as Red when it came to signing Myrtle up for things that she didn't want to be signed up for. Myrtle gritted her teeth and responded as politely as she could, "Unfortunately, I must decline that invitation, Tippy. Much as I would love to, I don't think that my health would permit it."

Miles, driving next to her, raised his eyebrows. He'd seen her do lots of lifting and carrying of Goodwill donations and he hadn't seen any apparent signs of failing health.

"Well, I am sorry to hear that, Myrtle. Should I put you on the prayer list?" asked Tippy.

"No, no—that won't be necessary. There's nothing specific, you understand. Just a general malaise."

Here Miles rolled his eyes.

Tippy said, "Let me know if you start feeling better. There's nothing that's better for one's constitution than being a helpful hand to others. Which is why it makes me sad that I didn't try harder to connect with the Alberts."