13. Friends & Apologies

Start from the beginning

"Who's this, Lucifer?" Linda asks, having not expected the second man with her patient.

"This is my lover, Doctor," Lucifer replies, his head against the draxon's chest, Nyx's arm around his shoulders. "The draxon, Nyxeus Draconian."

"The draxon," Linda repeats, taking a moment to fully comprehend it. "Aren't you supposed to be trapped in Hell?"

"I escaped," Nyx replies. "And I was framed for that attempt on Luci's life. Actually, we've met before."

"We have?" Linda asks.

"Indeed, a number of months ago. Here, let me just find that memory..."

Linda's brows furrow as she feels a strange sensation in her mind, a forgotten memory appearing at the front of her mind.

"You made me forget," she says.

Nyx nods. "Well see, I died a few days after and erased all memory of me from that brief period on Earth."

Lucifer grimaces, looking away. "Don't remind me."

"Do I want to know?" Linda asks.

"Probably not," Nyx says. "It's quite a bloody story really."

"Nope, don't wanna know," Linda says.

"Oh it's rather entertaining, Doctor," Lucifer adds, "full of trickery and torture."

"Still don't wanna know," Linda replies, holding a hand up. "But you seem... happy with it. I've never really seen you as the kind to enjoy hurting others, Lucifer."

"Demons, Doctor, and they deserved it," Lucifer says, eyes hard. "Daring to frame my King and tricking me. I almost think we let them off easy, love."

"It's too late to go back now, Luci," Nyx says, lightly nuzzling the devil, a happy smile on his lips. "Now, I think I should let you get on with your session. As much as I would like to stay, I think you'll be better focused without me here. I'll meet you back at Lux, alright love?"

Lucifer pouts but knows he's right. "Fine. You'd better make it up to me though."

Nyx chuckles, nodding. "I will."

"So if the killer knew about the affair, then that gives them the motive," Ella says as she, Chloe and Lucifer look over their newest case.

"Exactly," Chloe says. "So Thomas didn't lead the sin-free life we thought... We'll need to interview his wife again."

"Excellent," Lucifer says. "Let's go."

"No, you're going home," Chloe replies, turning to look at the devil.

"I most certainly am not," the devil argues.

"Yes, Lucifer, you are."

"Well, whatever for?" Lucifer asks, confused.

Chloe glances to the forensic scientist. "Ella, do you mind?"

"Oh, not at all," Ella says, leaving the lab to let the two talk alone.

"What is this about, Detective?" Lucifer asks.

Chloe sighs. "Well, Dan talked to me earlier about a conversation he had with Nyxeus."

"And what does that have to do with me staying or leaving?"

"You're going back to Lux to spend time with him, Lucifer," Chloe says. "It sounds like you've been focusing so much on work that you're neglecting Nyxeus."

"And?"

"Lucifer," Chloe says seriously, "you're doing what Dan did to me. Focus so much on work and not care enough about the ones you love. Dan and I broke up because of it, and I don't want to see that happen to you, especially with someone you seem to care so much about."

"We would never break up," Lucifer replies.

Chloe sighs, seeing the devil is going to be difficult. "How can you be so sure, Lucifer? Have you taken the time to see how he feels about you working so much? Sure, maybe you were this busy before, but with a lover, you need to make time for them."

"But we're bringing killers to justice, Detective," Lucifer says. "It's noble work, I'm sure he understands."

"When's the last time you actually spent time with Nyxeus? Not sex or anything like that, but quality time together where you bonded and talked and really felt the love I know you feel for him without it being sexual?"

"I..." Lucifer hesitates, thinking. "You're right, Detective. I've been... dropping everything for work and haven't really thought about him... I've just... been taking him for granted."

Lucifer turns and hurries away, Chloe watching him go with a soft smile.

Lucifer walks down the stairs of the club, looking around for his lover. Grabbing a drink at the bar, Lucifer manages to spot the draxon dancing with other club-goers, a few women getting a little too close for the devil's liking. His anger flares as one of the women places her lips over Nyx's, the draxon's eyes widening in shock.

Making his way over to his frozen lover, Lucifer pulls the woman back. "Sorry, Doll, but he's taken."

Sighing and taking one last look at the draxon, the woman walks off and disappears in the crowd. Lucifer takes Nyx's hand, pulling him towards the elevator.

"Luci!" Nyx says happily, his eyes bright. "You're home early!"

"Yes, Nyxeus," Lucifer replies as the elevator doors close. "And I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?"

"For neglecting you."

The two step out of the elevator, Lucifer setting his glass down on the counter.

"Really?" Nyx asks.

"Yes, really," Lucifer says, gently cradling the draxon.

Nyx tilts his head childishly. "Don't do it again?"

"I promise," Lucifer whispers.

Nyx smiles, hugging the devil. "I love you, Luci."

"I love you too, Nyx... Nyx, is this blood on the side of your neck?"

"Hmm?"

Lucifer wipes a finger over the nearly dried blood previously hidden by the draxon's hair. Licking it lightly, Lucifer's eyes narrow.

"That's human blood. Nyx, what did you do?"