16: THE AFTERMATH

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what?" Eleanor asked, confused. "No, mom-"

"Then why are you both disappearing all the time? May told me he sneaks out at night, just like you do. The principal also called, he said you ditched your classes and detention. What am I doing wrong?" Her mother inquired, and the girl knew that was a question she wouldn't be able to answer. "You have changed, El. You've been keeping everything to yourself ever since-"

Amelia Page stopped arguing, and sighed at the lack of answers from her daughter. She sat down beside her daughter, and placed her hand on the young one's back.

"I'm sorry. Put yourself in my shoes." Eleanor's eyes were still fixed onto the ground, tears staining both of her cheeks as her mom kept talking. "I don't mind if you and Peter- P-Peter's a nice kid. He's always looking out for you, I-It'd be better to know that you're out with him than to not know anything at all."

"It's not that, mom. We're not dating." Eleanor spoke, as she played with her fingers.

"You know you can tell me anything, El."

Eleanor knew deep down she wouldn't hear the end of this unless she told her the truth. So, she did.

"Mom," the teen started, shifting her head to look at her mother. "Remember the explosion?"

Her mother nodded, giving her the lead to continue.

"R-remember how they said that I had deadly injuries, but when I got to the OR, everything was gone?" She asked, but this time, Eleanor looked down. "I've been feeling different ever since that day. I-I told Mr. Stark about it, and h-he ran some tests on me, and discovered my cell regeneration was off the charts. I-I have powers, or whatever you'd like to call them."

Her mother's hand fell from her back to the couch, as she sat there in shock.

"The internship was to mentor me, and to make me a hero." Eleanor continued, but her eyebrows knitted as she started to cry. "But I messed up, mom. I messed up and-"

The adolescent now broke down in tears, as her mother embraced her. The older woman clutched the girl tighter to her chest and placed her head on top of hers.

"Oh, honey." Her mother began. "Believe me, of all the excuses I thought you'd say, this was never on my mind."

They broke the hug as the teen chuckled. Amelia Page reached out to wipe a tear from her daughter's cheek and grinned.

"Your father would be so excited about this revelation." Her mother remarked, as the two laughed.

"Yeah," Eleanor said, and sniffed. "He probably would've used me as an energy reactor at his lab."

The mother and daughter smiled, as the older woman's hand went back to Eleanor's back.

"Wow, um," The older woman said. "That kind of explains the alarm clock. W-We'll get through this, El. This is all new to me, but I'm sure we can figure this one out, too."

She hugged her daughter one last time, and then she broke the embrace. "And go shower. You smell like burnt metal."

Eleanor smiled, and before she could enter her bathroom, she overheard her mother speaking again.