The Smell of Blood

Start from the beginning

"Well I have to stay up at night because it's my duty as a school prefect", I said with my chest rising, full of pride.

"You can ask the chairman for a break once in a while you know?" Zero said, stopping.

"Zero, I know you're worried, but for the sake of the students from the day class, we both need to keep them out of trouble, and away from the vampire students of the night class", I said, looking into his gleaming purple eyes.

"I know", he said, continuing to walk down the campus.

I realized I was in a daze, and snapped out of it. I started running to catch up with him. My black leather combat boots hitting the grey brick path, as I ran towards him. My left foot stepped on a rock, and as I pulled my body forward to take my next step, I stumbled on to the cold hard ground. My ankle twisted, and my knee slid across the brick. My hands flew in front of my body to catch myself. I made a quiet whimpering sound when I fell. My hands got scrapped, and luckily my face didn't touch the ground. That familiar red liquid was now smeared all over my right knee, and my hands. I sat up, and examined my cuts. There had little rocks of different colours stuck to my blood, and my injuries were beginning to sting.

"Yuuki, what happened are you okay?!" Zero shouted, running towards me.

"I-I fell", I said pointing with my trembling hands to my knee.

"We have to get you out of here before they smell your blood", Zero said, grabbing my pale legs, and my back to lift me, but as he tried, I felt a tug coming from my calf area holding down my right leg, which didn't help one bit for the scrape on my knee. I felt the skin on the top of my knee separate, and pain immediately rushed to my cut; my knee sock got stuck to the corner of a brick on the ground.

"Oww, it hurts Zero", I said with a whining tone in my voice. He tried tugging on the sock in attempt not to rip it, after a few attempts of trying to unhook my sock from the brick, he had to tear it.

“There, I got it off”, he said whilst smiling. He looked up at something behind me, and his beautiful smile slowly became a frown.

“What is it?” I said. I turned around to see what he was looking at, the sun had almost set, and that means the day class students were no longer allowed to be outside their dorms. The pink sky was so beautiful at this time. The clouds were separated unevenly throughout the sky, the wind was brushing by the leaves of the trees, and my delicate porcelain skin, like when a blanket is being pulled off of you. It made the most relaxing sound to my ears. It calmed me when I got stressed, I could just breathe, and forget about all my problems, like a sort of release. I saw two tall figures standing in the way of what was left of the little sun we had. I squinted my eyes to see who it was, they were wearing white uniforms, which only means one thing, the night class. Zero rapidly helped me stand up from the ground, and I quickly grabbed Artemis from the strap I had on my leg, under my skirt, and extended her. The two figures who were standing there were Hanabusa, and Akatsuki. attentiveness

"We smell blood", Hanabusa said while grinning. I could see his fangs sticking out while he grinned at me, and I held on tighter to Artemis, hoping that I wouldn’t have to use her. I placed her in front of my body diagonally, even though I could feel my palms throbbing, and the little rocks sinking deeper into my skin as my grip on my weapon increasingly got tighter.