Something That Is Not Clear

With your father's chambers being so close to yours, you have the assurance you need: you will not be left behind.

After being informed about the details of the next meeting, you set the hour for you to wake. Your father promised to come in person to your room so you two can attend the meeting together, to which you were more than glad.

As you take some rest, you prepare your spirit for what is coming. Despite the justified amount of fear, however, you recognize your current situation might be favorable as it wasn't in your own planet, for now you have consistent matter to analyze: you already met the Base, the General, some of his manners and kind of know what to expect from the people who surround him. Sometimes it's indispensable to see things with your own eyes.

The hours passed like minutes, or this is the impression you have when you leave the bed. Sleep came fast to you, and even the anxiety couldn't keep you up. But you don't feel tired; you just wish you could stay in bed, or at least in this room. You so many things to think about and having to deal with people right now will not help you.

But, well, we cannot having everything, and you start your preparations.

***

When you open the door for your father and he puts his eyes on you, he doesn't say a word, but you know what he's thinking just by the subtle way he frowns. He's wondering if you plan to fight or cast a spell on General Hux, because you definitely invested on your clothes and props; besides, it's clear to him you spent more time than usual on your make up. Whatever his opinions about what you're up to, it's not disapproval what you see in his eyes: you have to show the best side of you in such an occasion.

After a moment of seriousness, you both laugh at each other. You want everything to end up well for yourselves and your planet, and you'll manage to get it.

***

At the center of the room, there's a large table prepared for the meeting, surrounded by chairs; all of this furniture is as black as the walls, but polished enough to emit the light entering through the transparisteel at the north of the room. It is not the same room of the reception: this one is smaller, rectangular, and you don't need to be told that it does see people inside unless important events were in progress.

When you enter the place with your father and entourage, guided by an officer, you see the First Order's people are already in their places. General Hux is at the head of the table, and at his left is Kylo Ren. They all stand up to salute your group. You have the strange sensation that they you're all late, and they were discussing part of the agenda without you. All the officers return to their previous positions, except Hux, who indicates the right seat beside him to your father, and the next one to you. When you pull your chair to sit, you glance at the other people of your group, fearing that there won't be enough seats for all of them, but in the end you see your fear is unfounded.

You look at the opposite side of your father, to Kylo Ren. For you, he looks more dangerous when he's not speaking, which is precisely the case this time. You don't know if he notices your look, but there's no time to find out, because you're quick to look away, to the General, hoping he doesn't give you any attention for now. Under his sober expression you notice a glimpse of discomfort or exasperation, probably because of Ren's presence: you already sensed the rivalry between these two, and now you're wondering how it will affect your life in this place and your relationship with your future husband.

Hux passes you a summary of the meeting's agenda, which consists in clarifying the main points of the treaty your father signed, and then starts the meeting itself. Everyone hears in silence. You take the opportunity to select the points you can agree and the ones you plan to discuss. At the same time, you observe the people around you. The present officers are the same ones who joined the reception; most of them appearing to be just a few years older than Hux, but you find two or three who are in their fifties or sixties. All of them certainly know the points of the treaty, but they pay attention to what the General is saying, as disciplined as possible. You can't look directly at your own diplomats, but you notice some uneasiness coming from the ones next to you.