He was trying to be funny it seems. "Uh, you look much older. Sorry."

I studied his face. He had a scar on his left brow and his nose looked as if it had been broken a few times.

"How old are you?"

"18."

"I'm just 21." He smirked.

What was he insinuating here?

"I have a boyfriend, sorry."

"Okay, I understand." He held his hands up in surrender.

I nodded and began jogging in the direction I came from. I heard him mumble something like 'see you around' but I wasn't too sure.

When I got home, I was soaking wet from my own sweat. I definitely ran out my frustration because I was beat.

After my shower I took a long nap. When I woke it was night time and I heard noises downstairs. I swear to God if this was my mom I would go bat shit crazy on her.

I saw Kevin sitting at the foot of the steps like last night, head in hands.

Slowly I made my way down the stairs and sat beside him. I just sat there, no talking, nothing.

Eventually he sighed and laid his head in my lap. I stroked his hair and watched as tears rolled down his face.

"You'll always be there for me, right?" He whispered.

"Always." I promised him.

His silent tears turned into sobs and I enveloped him in a hug. We remained like that for a long while until he left my embrace.

"Never speak of this." He said firmly and went to his room.

I smiled. Somewhere, somehow, my dad had smiled upon us.

***

Monday morning was in full swing and the prom committee was promoting the dance overtime. There were posters everywhere, literally. Even in the stalls of the girls bathroom.

I made my way through the hall towards my locker when I saw the star athlete leaning against it.

"We need to talk." He greeted me.

"Good morning to you, too." I scowled.

"Now." He nodded his head towards the empty classroom in front of us.

I sighed and followed him. We entered the classroom and he closed the door.

"It's about your brother."

"What do you mean?"

"He's gotten himself in some deep shit, Kate. Shit that I can't help him with unless I go to the police." He searched my eyes.

I stood frozen. What?

"Kate, I'm not joking here."

"What do you mean?" I blinked rapidly, trying to not hyperventilate.

"He's gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd known for underground fight clubs. It's both illegal and dangerous. Especially where money is concerned." He scratched the back of his neck. "From what I've heard, your brother owes his weight in gold."

"How?"

"He fights for them, Kate. These people bet on nasty, violent fights. I've heard he started off great, bringing in the big bucks but lately he's been slacking. I don't know how to help him without ratting him out and I'm no rat."

It all made sense to me now. The money on my night table. The scratches and bruises. Oh my God.

"Maybe if we talk him out of doing it."