In Good Company

Chapter One, where it all began.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

― Mae West

***************************************************************

“Izzy,” my mother yelled for the nineteenth time, “you’re going to be late!”

“Mum, I’m nearly ready,” I yell back at her. Why can’t she just wait for another damned minuet? I pull on my nude coloured  strappy sandals and my beige cardigan, I was determined to look good for my own graduation.

“I will wait in the car,” I heard the front door slam shut.

Crap! I knew that she would drive off without me if I didn’t hurry. I grabbed my purse and the strap got caught on my bed post, the contains of the bag ended up on the floor. “Seriously?” I shouted at the bag. As I moved forwards to collect the items, there was a crushing sound. “Double crap,” my pink lipstick had been forced into the expensive cream carpet. There was one thing that I knew my mother hated and that is mess, anything from stains to piles of clothes, she would have a massive bitch fit.

“Argh,” I huffed as I pull my shoes off and put on my black open toed heels. At least I looked okay I thought as I observed my appearance in the mirror. The horn blared from the driveway, “JUST WAIT A FREAKING MINUTE!” I yelled out of the window. “Screw this,” I ran out of the house to avoid the lecture that way heading my way from my mother.

“You will be late to your own funeral,” my mother started before I even sat in the car. She was already off, great.

“Mum, just stop for today, please,” I begged her not to give me a hard time, after all, we would end up shouting and screaming at each other by the time the two hour drive had finished.

She sighed. “Fine, but tomorrow we need to talk about your tardiness and your supposed business venture,” her eyes were focused on the road ahead as she backed out of the driveway and drove out of the cul-de-sac. “Are you driving home tomorrow?”

“Yes, I still need to bring something’s home with me, it’s why I got the train home.”

“Okay. Are you excited to be a graduate from Leeds? No more living like a student.”

“Yes mum, I’m excited.” I was excited to finish being a student so I can go out tonight, get drunk and not be bothered with how much of a mess I will be because everyone will be drunk.

“I finally get my baby back,” mum sighed. If only she knew that I wasn’t actually going to be living in Manchester for long, I was moving to London and starting my own business. My mum didn’t know this, all she knew was that I was going to be living in London after I get my job.

As we arrived at The University of Leeds we slowed down and followed the directions of the man who had a florescent jacket on, and parked ten minutes’ walk away from the Great Hall where our degrees would be given to us. “This is preposterous,” she already started. I needed a drink. “How do you think that your grandmother can walk all this way? It’s a good job Liam brought her wheelchair or else she wouldn’t be able to see you graduate.”

“Liam could have given her a piggy back ride to the hall,” I stifled a giggle as my mother looked like she was about to become murderous. “Mum, you wait here for Kate and Liam while I go and meet up with Gemma. I won’t be long,” I gave the woman a peck on the cheek as I walked away from her quickly.

I practically ran to the house that I shared with Gemma, Mia and Charlotte. “You made it!” Gemma happily said as she put her arms around my neck and giggled.