𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈

Start from the beginning

"Shit's been going on. She knows that."

"What kind of shit?" Connie  looked like she didn't believe him.

"None of your fuckin' business," Harry told her quickly.

Connie balked at the sting of his comment, but before she could say something equally as chilling, Harry was speaking again.

"And when did you talk to her? Because I just talked to her this morning before her college thing."

"What college thing?" Connie asked.

"Those appointments you guys had afterschool."

"Bree had a doctor's appointment afterschool."

A doctor's appointment? What the hell? Harry stared at Connie in silence for two blinks before he walked out of the den, this time gesturing for Connie to follow. She looked at him in confusion when he stood at the front door and opened it for her to leave. He noticed Mrs. Roth's car was missing and figured she'd finally taken the hint and left.

"What's going on?" Connie asked.

"Connie," Harry kept his eyes fixed outside as he spoke, "Tom is like a brother to me and Bree is … well…I love her. And you obviously care about her, too, which is the only reason I didn't throw you out of here on your ass. But if you ever come to my house and talk to me again like you just did, I won't be so nice next time." Harry didn't give Connie another opportunity to speak before he shut the door in her face.

He whipped his phone out of his pocket and sent Bree a message:

COME OVR

* * *

The human race had come so far in their discoveries and inventions. Microwave ovens, espresso machines, personal computers, smartphones… so why were women still subjected to the flimsy, paper robe in the gynecologist's office?

A soft knock signaled the doctor's entrance, and Bree tensed when a tall, plump woman appeared before her. Bree tried futilely to be modest in the sheer vellum she wore.

"Hi, Bree. I'm Dr. Starns. Why don't you tell me a little bit about why you're here today."

Bree nodded. She hesitated in speaking as she considered asking the doctor if she could just read what Bree had written on the questionnaire. But when she saw the way the doctor was looking at her expectantly, she knew she'd have to speak up sooner or later.

"Um…well…I'm kind of wondering if some things that are happening to my body are…normal?"

"Alright. Tell me about it." Dr. Starns voice was full and confident in comparison to Bree's. "From what it says here, you've just experienced sexual intercourse for the first time?"

Bree nodded. "Everyone says it hurts. But I didn't expect it to hurt that bad."

"Can you explain the pain to me?"

"Burning…I don't know. It just hurts."

"Still?"

"Not so much now. Like, it doesn't burn when I go to the bathroom anymore, but for the first couple days, it did."

"And you said you bled. How long did that last?"

"Two days. Is that normal?"

Dr. Starns nodded. "It can be." She turned to the sink behind her and began washing her hands before slipping on a pair of latex-free gloves.

"Just lie back, Bree and stick your feet up here," she indicated to the stirrups. "I'll just examine you so that we can be sure everything is okay."