1.

chapter 1; bye bye home sweet home

KAYLA MANDELL sat on her mattress, looking over her room as it was now empty. "ugh" she groaned, flopping back. "kayla!" kayla's older sister, kate, was calling for her.

"what!?" kayla snapped. "we're leaving!" she yelled out to kayla. kayla rolled her eyes and grabbed her suitcases, dragging them lazily along the wooden floors.

"are you ready?" kate smiled at kayla, excited. "nope" kayla answered plainly, scrolling through her phone. "c'mon, kayla! cheer up! it's only for a little bit until this little girl gets a proper guardian" kate pinches her sister's cheek. kayla pushes her hand away.

"thanks for ruining my summer" kayla told kate for the fifteenth time today. "you got your medicine?" kate asked kayla, ignoring her rudeness. kayla let out a simple 'mhm' and continued scrolling throughout instagram.

"let's go visit mom" kate smiled, walking out the door. kayla followed her to the car and helped her pack the suitcases, then got into the passenger seat.

kate drove to the facility their mom was in. their mom was put into the facility because of her mental state, which unfortunately, kayla inherited.

kayla and kate walked into the facility and went to the spot where their mom always was: sitting in an empty pool, painting.

kayla went up to her mom first, tapping her shoulder. "m...mom?" kayla whispered. her mom turned around and smiled at her.

then her smile dropped when she saw her. "kate?" her mom questioned. kayla forgot about her mom's alzheimer's. "no! mom, it's me, it's kayla" kayla tried to smile.

"kate, honey, you look so young" her mom caressed her cheek. kayla felt her eyes getting watery. "mom..." a few tears fell out of her eyes and down her cheeks.

"kate, why are you crying?" she asked. kate came over. "no, mom, i'm kate. that's kayla, your other daughter" kate informed her mother. a lightbulb clicked inside of their mother's head.

"oh. i apologize, kayla. hello, honey. what has brought you here today?" she asked. "we came to say goodbye, mom, we're leaving for kate's new job" kayla told her mom. "i don't remember you telling me this" kayla's mother searched her face.

"of course you don't" kayla started sobbing. kate tried comforting kayla. "we love you mom" kate smiled at her mother. "i love you both too" her mom smiled back, and in that instant, kate saw something in her mom when she was holding kayla.

she saw the woman her mother used to be, always caring for her and kayla. kate felt her eyes getting watery and helped kayla to the car without her breaking down once again.

they got into the car and kayla started breathing heavily. "anxiety meds?" kate held the bottle of pills out to kayla. kayla grabbed the bottle, stuffing four into her mouth.

"kayla!" kate yelled, snatching the bottle back so her sister wouldn't overdose. "it's a low dosage, kate! i'll be fine" kayla wiped her tear-stained face.

kate started the 2 hour drive to the house that they would be living in for awhile. kate was excited for this new job and experience. kayla, however, wanted to go home and cry herself to sleep.

chapter 1! i probably should've named this overdose or medication or something but basically the storyline is kayla inherited her mother's insanity and she has to take medicine to make her sane so she doesn't hurt anything or end up in a mental hospital. so there may be some sensitive stuff in here, so if your like that i suggest you read NO FURTHER!!!! bye loves 🥰🥺

- ali.