"she's an orphan" Josie said with a disgusted look.

you rolled your eyes. "it's not like she chose to be one" you said annoyed.

"but she is one. and she has red hair!" Ruby whisper-shouted causing you to raise your eyebrows.

I've never seen red hair before.

"look there she is right now!" Tillie exclaimed, pointing towards the door.

Diana stood there talking to a redheaded girl with flowers on her hat. it was a pretty sight.

"I think her hair looks beautiful" you said causing the girls to look at you with raised eyebrows.

before they could say anything Diana walked up to you smiling and you all turned to her.

"this is Josie Pye, Jane andrews, Tillie Boulter, Y/n L/n, and Ruby Gillis." you smiled at at the girl. "everybody this is Anne" Diana added.

"nice to meet you Anne" you said as you looked at her, she had small freckles all over her face.

"It's a scrumptious pleasure to make your acquaintances and I shall do my utmost to prove myself worthy of your friendship." she said causing the girls to frown. some words you didn't even know, but it immediately made you think of your brother's poetry.

"uh... Anne loves to read and she knows ever so many big words" Diana said.

"does she use them all in every sentence?" Josie asked.

you gave her a look and she looked at you rolling her eyes.

"my brother loves to read too, he also writes poetry. I think you two would get along" you said smiling.

Anne smiled, but didn't say anything. the girls all stayed quiet because of your glares.

suddenly Billy Andrews started barking. you rolled your eyes.

"you're ridiculous" Anne said causing you to smile.

"hey look! it's a talking dog" Billy said chuckling. "can you fetch too?" he asked.

"leave her be!" your brother came standing behind Billy. even though he didn't play sports he was still quite strong.

Billy rolled his eyes and walked away. you smiled at your brother as he went back to his desk.

"don't mind my brother, he's ridiculous" Jane said.

"school is... a lot to contend with" Anne said.

"have you ever been to a real school? or did they just send you to a special orphan school?" Josie asked causing you to glare at her.

"come on let's finish the tour. bring your milk, I'll show you the stream outside" Diana said quickly changing the subject.

they walked off and you glared at Josie again. "what was that?" you asked frowning.

"I was just asking" she said causing you to roll your eyes.

you walked over to your desk and just waited for the lesson to start.