Just My Luck

Chapter Eight, Part One

The smell of smoke was overwhelming, I couldn't breathe. Choking and retching on the ground I screamed for help, for anyone to hear me.

Branches in flames came down all around me and the once lively flowers withered and burned. I had to get out of here.  I needed to get out of here.

I knew that she was depending on me to save her, I was scared, so scared. No amount of praying would get me out of this situation.

The ending was set in stone and it was my entire fault. People, innocent people were dead because of me and I hadn't even tried to stop it.

I was naive and ignorant. Too young to realize the world they were dragging me into. And now they had come to punish me to make me pay for all the wrongs I had made.

I heard the screams in the distance and saw the boots coming closer and closer to my weak form. I didn't even have the energy to fight, to lift a hand.

And I would have greeted them with a smile on my face if I didn't know who they had to use against me.

A boot raised and with all the power that he possessed kicked me into the world of darkness.

*************************

I lay awake just staring at the ceiling, the nightmare was unbearable and I felt that I was back there. Reliving the torture that I had endured. That we had all endured.

Eventually I was going to have to face the monsters from my past.  They were still out there and searching for me. They wouldn't stay in the dark for too much longer.

I had a feeling that this dream I kept having was more of a premonition and as soon as I saw the man’s face in the alcove it would be all over.

Something inside me, deep inside me whispered that maybe that it was for the best. That I deserved to die. The voice was right.

I glanced at the clock and decided that I had to get ready for school. After showering and changing I headed downstairs for breakfast.

Half way through eating my bowl of lucky charms there was a knock at the door. To be honest I wasn't surprised.

There he was in all his glory just leaning against the door frame like he owned the place. But I acted surprised.

"Trey? What are you doing here?" I thought I had made it very clear to him last night that each other’s company wasn't good for either of us.

"Well, I remembered that I did kidnap you last night so you have no way to get to school..."

I really wasn't used to this much kindness. I was unsure on how to deal with it and decided I would just ignore it.

"Hmmm, okay. But this is the first and only time Trey; don't forget what I told you last night," his eyes sparked with some unknown emotion.

***********************************************

If I thought the first day was making an entrance, I was completely wrong. People literally dropped their jaws when they saw me hop out of his car.

I'm pretty sure one guy forgot to look where he was going and fell into a bin. "Yeah, I'm never coming with you again if that's the reaction we get."

"Please, you know I'm irresistible and sooner or later you'll see that you can't live without me." I so wish I could wipe that smirk off his face.

"Bye Trey." I didn't look back but I could feel his eyes burning holes on my back. I didn't want to have to face the questions that were bound to be asked today.