Part 18

Rayyan: NAUSHEEN! Where were you?

Nausheen: just down the street,

Rayyan: amma is calling.

I went inside sensing some danger.

Shameem auntie: what do you think you are doing?

Nausheen: I just went to the nearby junction to give the poor people some food.

Shameem auntie: you went there? What if my friends have seen you? What will they think of me? You didn't even ask me before going. Did she ask you Rayyan?

She looked towards him and he looked down.

Nausheen: I tried to find Rayyan.

Shameem auntie: you are so shameless, you call your husband by his name? My friends are coming home in the evening today to see you. You already went out.

Nausheen: but auntie the food...

Shameem auntie: you could've asked the driver to go give it to them. You just want to prove to the world that you're great! Now stop arguing and go wash up.

Nausheen: I already took bath in the morning

Shammem: you just went and met those dirty people in that dirty place. Go wash up before coming close to me or touching anything in my house.

Rayyan was the biggest disappointment. He just looked down all this time.

We ate lunch. My throat was aching, because I was trying not to cry but I was crying from the inside. I couldn't eat. I was occasionally sobbing.

Shameem auntie: will you stop the drama now? You want all my friends to think that I've been hitting you or something?

We had finished dinner and I was doing the dishes.

When you're done, come to me, I'll tell you what all to make and how much to make.

I just nodded.

Auntie told me to get dressed for the evening and so I wore nice clothes and matched some jewellery along with it and wore it.

All the women who came home held my jewellery in their hand and estimated the weight of gold that I was wearing. I was very confused.

And when all ladies left

Shameem auntie: you insulted me today. Is this all the jewellery that you've got? You should've asked me once, I'd have given you my jewellery. What will my friends think of me now?

Nausheen: I have some more jewellery but I thought this matched well.

Rayyan entered the hall.

Shameem auntie: Rayyan, look at your wife. Look how she's talking to me? She is telling me what looks good with what. Nobody talked to me like this. I've never felt so embarrassed.

I was so sad. Again. I didn't say anything to anyone and I went into the room. I cried a lot before I slept. But Rayyan didn't even come into the room. I was asleep when he came and slept. He hadn't talked to me since we came here.

The next day went exactly similar. Auntie had kept all the last nights dishes for me to wash. There was a washing machine but she asked me to wash clothes. I didn't do anything without asking auntie. I did only what was asked to do.

I called mum in the evening. I didn't want to tell her anything but I couldn't hide anything from her. And she is a smart woman. She knows how to handle things without spoiling anything.

I told her everything that had been happening.

Nahida auntie: you stop crying first. And listen to me, talk to Rayyan tonight. And he doesn't empathise with you, tell me. I'll take care of everything from there.

Nausheen: I don't think its required auntie. Its ok, it's just a matter of another few days and shameem auntie will eventually start liking me.

Nahida aunite: no Nausheen.

1. You're not a burden to us. We won't let you live a dreadful life like this. We haven't brought up with so much love and care for you to suffer there.

2. If she doesn't want to accept you. No one can convince her to. You be good. Leave the rest on Allah.

Talk to Rayyan as soon as possible.

Nausheen: thank you so much auntie.

That night I waited till Rayyan came into the room. I was sitting in the dark room in one corner. Rayyan came and slept. Completely ignored me.

I could easily stand all of this and more if only my husband loved me. But....

**********************************

We all know a husband-wife relation is the one with complete equality. Respect each other equally. Then why is it a big deal to call husband by his name? ( Its a whole another story if she doesn't like to call him by his name.)

Doesn't make sense to me.

And in situations like these, more often the girl's family asks her to cope up with all the insult. But I really feel that a girl should always be welcome in her house.

Her Family should support her and tell her that its ok.

"Its ok to not be able to resolve some issues easily. This is your house. You can come stay here for however long."

I really don't understand why parents fail to support their daughters in situations like these.

This is about a part of India, from where I belong...

The last point I'd like to mention is that,

The most important part of a relationship is LOVE. For all the boys who are reading. Girls do not expect 'anything' more than a loving and a caring husband. She will handle all stress in the world to keep you happy if you just love her.

I'm sorry if this author's note was too intense. I'm just emotional. Maybe because the story is coming to an end :)