Final Author's Note

Start from the beginning

Why did you make an account on Wattpad?

I originally made a Wattpad account because I had been reading a lot of Keeper stories and I wanted to interact and show support for the writers I was writing. I actually ended up figuring out quite quickly that there weren't very many good quality fanfictions written out there, and I think at that point (this was 2017 or so) there was only one good sokeefe fanfiction because not many of us shipped Sophie and Keefe. Every story on Wattpad was a matchmaker one. I followed the trend but put my own spin on it. I figured that if no one could write a story with proper formatting and grammar, I couldn't possibly do worse than that as long as I actually tried my hand. (No offense, but so many writers don't format their writing whatsoever and it's probably the thing that makes me turn away from books immediately over anything else.) I wanted there to be a good quality sokeefe fanfiction out there for people like me, that were looking for a read that at the very least was formatted correctly and not just the same thing. No shade to any of the writers that wrote anything in 2017 – I just didn't find anything to my personal taste.

What device do you use for your writing?

My computer, always.

Why do you ship sokeefe and when did you start?

I've always been the type of person that shipped a character with the person they were not supposed to be with, I guess. Not always. I live for some good Percabeth. But the majority of the time, I guess I find that love interests in stories just aren't interesting characters. I ship sokeefe because truthfully, if I had to choose who I would want in Keeper of the Lost Cities as my boyfriend, it would be Keefe. He's interesting. He has real substance to his character.

I always had shipped sokeefe, but when I really started to dislike Fitz and Sophie's relationship was when Alden's mind shattered and Fitz took it out on Sophie. I thought the relationship was so, so toxic. In comparison, Sophie and Keefe always seem to build each other up. They're the only two people that are always there for each other. They always show their love and support for each other no matter what, even if it requires a window sleepover with heel throwing. Fitz and Sophie's relationship looks so golden on the surface, but it just doesn't seem to have any depth in my eyes. The deeper you look, the more troubling it is. In the most recent book, Legacy, Fitz is pressuring Sophie to pay attention to him when she barely has enough time for herself at all, never mind him. It's just things like that. If he really cared for her, he would understand that it was not the time for a relationship and that she had a lot on her plate, not feel the need to progress their relationship when she clearly was so exhausted. If I had a boyfriend, I would want him to look out for me, to support me. I would want a best friend before anything else. The way Fitz forces his values onto Sophie bugs me, and I just wish that they could have more than a cognate relationship. In the end, it just feels incredibly forced on both sides. Sophie is so uncomfortable, always. And then Keefe walks in, and it feels like she just relaxes. Yes, you can argue that it's because she's not dating him, but truthfully, that was never the case from the start with Fitz.

I'm sorry to all of the Sophitz shippers out there, but this is my sincere opinion. We can agree to disagree. But I hope you've brought all of your reasons for why you like Sophitz, because I'm not sure I'll ever be able to understand why you chose that ship.

How do you stick with a story for so long without starting to fall out of love for writing it? That's always my problem, I start feeling guilty for not updating stuff, but I also have my own life, so how do you do both without just giving up on the story?

Sticking with a story is so, so hard. I've trained myself not to move onto other stories unless I can finish one, though. I tell myself every time I'm writing a story that I just have to keep going because if I don't finish this one, I'm not allowed to start on the next one.