Enough Space (grohlkins)

Start from the beginning

We looked at each other, the intense stare adding a heavy tension to the room. I tried not to shake, I couldn't keep this fight up. Not with Dave. I didn't want to continue the argument, we could just act as if it hadn't happened. I felt vulnerable with him shouting at me and me shouting back. This wasn't like us "You're fucking stupid then"

He shook his head, sighing "You know what? Let's calm down and just do the fucking set list"

I shook my head too. This had gone too far. It's been two months like this, the band didn't have the spark it used to have anymore. We didn't get along well anymore, as much as I loved Dave. We didn't have the same connection anymore. I couldn't be in this band like this for any longer. Watching as Dave got a girl and got married and had children.. I couldn't. And that was bound to happen. It wasn't worth it if on top of it I had to deal with a dead band. I couldn't.

"Okay" I said "Let's do this, but as soon as it's over, I'm leaving. As soon as we play, finish the album, and do any commitments that we have, I'm leaving" I said clearly. I had had enough of that shit.

His eyes widened "Look, we're gonna play. If after we don't wanna do it again, then it's over"

"The Foo Fighters are over. I don't care" I agreed.

"Okay then. Well, that's it" he said.

I shook my head inside, this wasn't going to have a happy ending.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We waited for a minute as the crowd cheered at us and then walked off stage, me the second one after Chris. The show couldn't have been better. The chemistry between us as a band was back, the energetic vibe was still there. If you were in the crowd you couldn't have guessed we have been fighting. Not between me and Dave neither, we had interacted just well, like always.

Even though all that happened I didn't completely feel okay now. This meant that the band was still going on, which was fantastic, but now I'd see Dave get a life, get settled with a girl or whoever. I'd see him happy with them. He wouldn't have as much time to be with me, and our friendship would get worse again. It wasn't good news. It hurt even to think about it.

As soon as I was out of the stage I ran to the first empty room I found. I couldn't see Dave when the wound was still fresh. I couldn't see him like nothing had happened because to me many things had. Reality had punched me in the face, I did have a lot to think about, I couldn't see him.

I closed the door quickly and sat on the floor, there weren't any chairs in here.

I brought my knees up and buried my face in them, taking a few deep breaths. Calming down from the high of the show was weirdly easy.

I heard the door crack behind me "Dude, you have to come her-" Chris had stopped talking suddenly when he saw me sitting on the floor, my back to him. It wasn't a strange position for me to be in, but I guessed enough for Chris to be suspicious, even though he had joined not too long ago "Taylor? Are you okay, man?" He slowly made his way to me and sat facing away from the door, like me.

He didn't say anything for a while, suspecting what was going on. I knew he was waiting for me to answer his question, bit I didn't have the intention to, not now at least.

"Taylor..." He said in a much softer voice "Do you need anything? Do you want me to call Dave? I'm sure he would he-"

"Don't!" I cut him off "Anything but Dave right now! I don't want to fucking see him" Not now not ever probably. I couldn't. I wasn't strong enough to be his friend, not in my condition. On fucking top of it he had to fucking argue with me in front of the whole fucking band. What the fuck? Why then? I mean, why ever fight? We didn't fight, not in the four years of being best friends. I didn't understand why we had to do it now, but I was still pissed myself.