Beautiful

I still couldn't believe my luck the next day. I was sitting in a corner of the library, writing in my diary.

Dear diary,

I guess I'm a "Heather" now. I simply asked to sit with them once at lunch, but somehow I've been accepted as a member of the group. Yesterday was a long one. So long in fact, that I didn't even finish my diary entry. Sorry about that, by the way.

Well, first we went to the mall to get what I've decided to call a uniform. It's a blue blazer, my favorite color. I don't know how, but Heather Chandler picked it out for me as if she knew that I liked blue. Next, we stopped to get makeup to fit my complexion and assigned uniform color. It was a whirlwind of trying clothes on and finding the right eye shadow. Even now it makes my head dizzy to think about it all.

It was nice that I didn't have to pay for any of the clothing or makeup. Heather Chandler insisted on paying, despite my protests of at least letting me to buy my own blazer. After the shopping trip, we all headed to Heather McNamara's house. There they taught me about how to style my hair and how to apply their style of makeup. It was a lot, to say the least.

I hope that I can fit in someday. It felt so nice to be accepted and noticed instead of ridiculed for once. I just hope I didn't forget anything important yesterday...

Oh shit! I totally spaced about movie night! How had I forgotten? I'm going to find Martha, write to you later!

I shoved my things into my brand new backpack and rushed out of the library. Mrs. Connors, the librarian, glared at me as I shot her an apologetic look. I stumbled into multiple people as I raced towards Martha's locker. I thought, That's strange, no one has yelled or shoved at me yet. I couldn't think about that now though, I needed to apologize to Martha ASAP.

I caught sight of her pink sweater in the hallway and rushed towards it, failing to notice the parting crowd. I grabbed her shoulder from behind and wheeled her around to face me.

"Who are you? Oh. My. God. Veronica?!" Martha exclaimed.

"Yeah...I have a lot to tell you. Let's go somewhere out of the way." I said, preparing to try and explain what had happened yesterday.

We reached a quiet stairwell and we both sat down. I started to word vomit.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Martha. I can explain. I-"

"Veronica, I know." Martha interrupted.

"What?"

"I know what happened yesterday. I tried calling your house to see when you were coming and your mom answered. She said that you had rushed in to check in with her then went out with some other classmates. You spent the afternoon with the Heathers, right?"

I nodded my head, feeling like the worst human being on Earth.

"I'm still so sorry. It's totally my fault." I looked at her and she seemed so disappointed in me. I would have rather her be mad at me. Heaven knows I deserved it at the moment.

Martha stood, offering me a truce hug. It was something that we had come up with years ago when one of us messed up and the other was upset. We never wanted to end things on a bad note so we had come with this idea to help with the negative feelings. I stood up and took her truce. I repeated again and again how sorry I was for ditching out on movie night.

I promised never to be so short sighted ever again and then we both walked to our first period together. But peace was not yet fully reached between us. I had broken her trust, and now I needed to earn it back.