Part 11: PEOPLE LINKED BY DESTINY WILL ALWAYS FIND EACH OTHER

PART 11

"Geralt, stop!" shouted Visenna, trying to free herself from his firm grip on her arm.

"I said, get on my horse," he growled. "I'm taking you out of here."

"You think you are rescuing me? Why are you here? Who sent you?"

"Of course I'm rescuing you. What does it matter who sent me? I came here on my own, because it was my will."

"You know better than to trust your will when you have been consorting with a sorceress," she retorted.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm not a prisoner in this place. I was in hiding," she answered. "Whoever sent you wanted to flash me out. They sent the only person with whom I would accept to flee from my protection."

"Protection? With these fanatics?"

"You don't know what you are talking about. You don't understand what's happening here. Whoever sent you deceived you about the situation."

"No, that's not true". There was a hint of doubt in the witcher's voice. "Why would she...?"

"Lie to you?" completed Visenna. "Who is she?"

"Her name is Laurel."

"Laurel," repeated Visenna.

"Do you know her?"

"No," she shook her head.

"She said she was your friend."

"I don't know her," she repeated.

"What does she want with you?" he asked.

"What all of them want, what even your precious Yennefer wants."

"Your healing powers?" frowned Geralt.

"I'm good as a healer, but not exceptional. No, it's not that."

"Then, what?"

"I'm the only one who has achieved what they can't."

Geralt froze:

"A child," he realized. "All sorceresses are sterile, but you had me."

"Yes."

"That miracle was wasted in you," he snarled with anger. "You never wanted me, you discarded me, condemned me to a fate worse than..."

"Geralt, please," she tried to appease him. "Please, don't."

"You don't even have the right to use that name. That's the name Vesemir gave me."

She lowered her head in silence.

"Why?" he wanted to know. "Tell me why. I was only six years old. What could I possibly have done to deserve...?"

"Stop it! No more, Geralt, please," she pleaded. "Just leave me. There is no point in discussing this. Goodbye, Geralt."

"You can't stay here," he said. "When they realize you helped me to escape..."

"You are right. This place is not safe for me anymore," she agreed.

"Come with me."

"No, Geralt."

She extended a hand and opened a portal to her right. She walked towards it not even looking back.

"Wait!" shouted Geralt. "Will I ever see you again?"

"People linked by destiny will always find each other," she turned to him and smiled a sad smile as she entered into the portal and disappeared.

Roach nudged Geralt's shoulder, as if to comfort him while he stood there, looking at the empty space where the portal had swallowed his mother. He heard shouting in the village: they had discovered his escape. He sighed in frustration and mounted, getting the hell out of there.

He rode south. His enhanced senses helped him track Brumswick's company with ease. He found them by midday the following day. Elyn was with them, which relieved him greatly, but this time, he was not exactly welcome to join them.

"I'm glad you are ok," Geralt said to Elyn, dismounting and walking by her side.

She looked down and quickened her pace, avoiding him.

"Elyn..." he called after her. "What...?"

"You'd better leave her alone, monster hunter," warned him Bled.

Geralt didn't pay attention to him.

"Elyn, what is it? Are you angry with me?" enquired the witcher.

"You've done your work, Geralt," she said coldly. "What more do you want?"

"What are you talking about? What work?" asked Geralt, confused.

"I thought I couldn't be fooled. This serves me as a lesson," she answered.

"Elyn... I don't understand..." shook his head the witcher.

"Maybe it is better for you if you don't understand," intervened Brum. "You have to leave us. You cannot ride with us anymore."

"Whatever Patrick told you..." started Geralt.

"You heard Brum," said Elyn. "Get away from us."

"You can't believe whatever that psychopath told you, you can't..."

"Stop it, Geralt!" growled Elyn.

"I thought you considered me a friend, I thought you saw something in me..."

"I thought so too," she said, looking at him in the eyes for the first time. "I was mistaken."

He couldn't hold her gaze and averted his eyes.

"Go away, Geralt. I will not ask you again," she said firmly.

Without a word, Geralt got on Roach and left. He rode furiously south. He wanted answers, and he would get them.