Chapter 11

"NOPE!" Kip shouted as soon as we crested the hill. He turned to run away but Snivy grabbed his tail, "NOPE NOPE NOPE."

We were looking down over Nimbassa City.

Or, what used to be Nimbassa.

"Geesh kid relax. I mean I know the place has seen better days, but there's no reason to flip out." Ace said, landing next to Snivy.

"Pssh. Come on, it's Original Freedom Fighter Lore 101 that Nimbassa City is the site of the infamous, 'Ferris Wheel Escapade'. Duh." Psyduck lectured; most of us cringed.

"Great. Not only do we have a fangirl, but he's a pain in the tail too." Zoura growled, starting down the hill.

"I don't like it as much as you guys, but this is the fastest way to the forest." Pidgey sighed. I ground my teeth together and closed my eyes. "Can't we go around the creepy city full of danger?" Charmander whined.

"Sure, if you want to delay our trip for days, go ahead." Snivy snapped, glaring at him through her newly scarred eye.

"Yes ma'am Commander. Excellent use of time." Ace said, saluting.

"Flattery don't charge these batteries Rookie." Snivy snapped.

Ace ruffled his feathers up in a huff, "Excuse me Commander, just trying to make polite conversation."

"Well keep trying." Snivy retorted.

Ace crinkled his nose and turned his gaze sharply to Snivy, "You're being very hostile, Commander, and quite rude if I do say do myself."

Everyone went silent.

"Aw snap." Psyduck muttered.

"Rude!? I just got maimed by my own mother, Smartass, so excuse me if my manners aren't apparent at the moment!" Snivy yelled, getting in Ace's face.

"You're acting like a kid!" Ace returned, getting right up in her face in return. 

"Featherbrain!"

"Trubbishbreath!"

"You must have an IQ of negative twelve!"

"Oh yeah? Well you're extremely attractive!"

"...What!?"

"...Huh?"

Ace, took a small step back, seemingly very confused over his own statement, then shut his beak and blushed. Snivy also went red, the two of them looking at each other awkwardly. I was trying really hard not to laugh.

Suddenly Kip burst out in giggles, "Snivy and Ace, sittin' in a tree..." He fell over, still laughing as the bird and grass type proceeded to blush even more. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Charmander joined in, scooping Kip up and running down the hill as Snivy and Ace followed them in heated pursuit.

"FIRST COMES LOVE! THEN COMES MARRIAGE! THEN COMES THE EGG IN THE--OWwww!"

***

The city of lights was dead.

Or at least it looked that way.

The last time I had been here I had been terrified, cornered, trapped, but at least it had seemed like there were people. Lights flickered on and off in lamp posts, and litter drifted through the streets. Windows were dark and boarded up, and doors were locked tight. Cars were parked, abandoned on the sides of streets and driveways.

"Where is everybody?" Kip asked, voice echoing through the street. We walked down the street in broad moonlight, the suburb dark and deserted. Zoura stared hard at a window. Blinds fluttered for a split second, and two eyes peered out, before going wide with terror and disappearing.