[ twelve ]

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, with Mikasa."

"Why didn't you wait for me?"

(Y/n) giggles at the pouty expression Farlan wore.

"We were hungry and I didn't know you were too!"

"I always get hungry during afternoons, you should know that by now!" Farlan playfully counters. He nears the vending machine and chose his own chip pack while (Y/n) waited for him on the bench across from the machine.

"Are you really my friend, Doctor Zackley?"

"Shut up." (Y/n) shakes her head to the sides as she chuckled at Farlan's childish behavior.

"Isabel's having her birthday next week, right? What's our plan?" Farlan sat beside the (h/c)-haired girl, chewing on his junk food then shrugged his shoulders to answer (Y/n)'s question.

"I have no idea as of now. She's been to every restaurants and fast foods here; I feel like we'll have to take her out of town to surprise her."

Unknown to the male, (Y/n)'s expression fell while he spoke. Levi popped up inside her mind just as Farlan had mentioned going out of town.

(Y/n) didn't want to say it out loud, but she didn't want to leave Levi alone for the second time, with him knowing or not. The past incident Levi was directly involved in days ago made (Y/n) realize how critical she should be when making decisions related to her job.

And she didn't want to risk anything again.

"You okay, (Y/n)?" Farlan waves a hand right in front of her face. (Y/n) finally goes back to reality after a few seconds of spacing out.

"Uh, yeah..." (Y/n) says, "I'm fine."

"You looked bothered for a second there," Farlan leans on the back rest of the bench, "did you forget something again?"

(Y/n) sends a quick glare towards Farlan before she clicks her tongue.

"No, I don't think-- wait..."

Farlan raises an eyebrow when (Y/n) abruptly stands from her seat.

"Far, what time is it?"

"Two minutes before half past six."

(Y/n)'s face clearly displayed panic after Farlan answered her. The male also noticed the change in her demeanor.

"I have to meet with Levi now so I have to go back," (Y/n) smooths her lab coat out, "I'm gonna have to leave you here, is that okay with you?"

"Can't you go a bit later--"

"I can't Farlan, I have to go right now." (Y/n) responds, her eyebrows creased in worry. The male sighs and nods.

"Okay. Stay safe." He shoots her a genuine smile. (Y/n) returns the gesture before turning on her heels and running.

Does she really have to care for her patient that much?

I don't get to spend time with her like how I did before that Levi arrived.

Farlan lets out a breathy chuckle.