Herbst in Berlin

The howling wind shook the caramel coloured leaves off the tall trees leaving thin, rigid, skeletal trunks behind. The leaves scattered haphazardly onto the pale concrete below although some were whisked away by the wind and carried off to elsewhere.

On the outskirts of Berlin, Rolli was trembling somewhat violently as he struggled to do his geography homework. It was 9:30am and his mother had gone to work so he had the house to himself.
That morning was a nippy 12°c (sorry Americans but I'm a British bitch) which as you can imagine isn't that cold. In actuality he was quaking because he had to complete it by tomorrow and he still didn't understand it all.

The A4 page taunted him with a simple question," What countries border Germany?"

It infuriated him. Was it Lithuania? Belarus? Kazakhstan? Japan? Rolli combed his banana-yellow hair with his fingers in distress. And this was only the first question. He still had an entire page to fill out with countries, rivers, capitals and other things he didn't understand.

Rolli groaned in frustration and flopped onto his bed. He looked up at the map of Germany his mother bought for him in hopes that it would help him with geography.
His finger circled around Berlin and he muttered,"Das ist im Nordosten von Deutschland."

His thoughts were put to an end abruptly, however, by the buzzing of his phone. He crawled to his desk and snatched it.

"Hallo? Rolli bist du da?"

"Ja, Rita," he replied in surprise."Warum telefonierst du?"

"Machst du deine Hausaufgaben? Ich werde zu deinem Hause kommen."

"Moment mal! Kommst du zu-" but before Rolli could ask any questions, Rita hung up. He tried calling her but she wasn't picking up.

Simultaneously the doorbell was ringing deafeningly. Rita. Rolli bolted down the stairs, careful not to trip over his cat or dog who were both sitting on the stairs, and reached the door.
He grabbed the house key, shoved it in the key hole, twisted the knob and swung open the door.

Standing there was Rita who was panting and said breathlessly,"Hallo Rolli."

Rolli, who was still quite bewildered, asked hesitantly,"Warum bist du hier?"

Rita grinned coyly,"Dir zu helfen." She stepped in and began taking off her brown boots.

"Aber mein Zimmer ist ordentlich nicht," Rolli protested feebly.
He tried blocking the stairs but Rita pushed him aside and said nonchalantly,"Es ist mir egal."

She clambered up the stairs, also careful not to step on Rolli's cat who was sleeping soundly, and called to him,"Wo ist dein Zimmer?"

"Du gehst das erstes Zimmer links," Rolli shouted as he sprinted up the stairs.

Rita pushed open the door to find Rolli's guinea pig sprinting around in it's cage merrily; Rolli's bed undone, with its neon, Memphis pattern duvet drooping and ready to touch the fluffy, cyan rug next to it; Rolli's alarm clock floating gently from the gravity outage that morning (quite a common occurrence in Germany. You'd be surprised how much money is saved when you do that); all manner of stationery, maps, textbooks and exercise books laid chaotically in a jumbled mess, religiously surrounding a piece of white A4 paper. On it were 14pt, black questions written in comic sans.