Dinowar

CHAPTER 1

I got into Erin's car and buckled my seatbelt.

"'Sup, homey G," she said.

Erin was like a flagpole. Her blue eyes always seemed to be twinkling. She had wavy, long, red hair that glistened in the sunlight and had a button nose. She was the goalie of her high school soccer team. She was the best goalie I had ever seen. She also liked mystery books and videogames.

My name was Melody. I was shorter, and my hair was black and long. My eyes were green, and my face lightened everyone around it; at least that was what everybody said. I was fifteen, and Erin was sixteen. I enjoyed playing baseball and videogames. I thought football was stupid.

"School's finally over," Erin said.

"Yee frickin' haw!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah. Say, how did you do on your chemistry final?" she asked as we left the parking lot.

"Good," I replied.

"Awesome," she said.

"How did you do on your finals today?" I asked.

"Pretty good," she answered and stopped at a red light.

"Great," I said, and the light turned green.

She resumed driving.

Five minutes later, we were out of the car and in the hot sun.

Suddenly, Jasmin; my fourteen-year-old sister came out the door.

Jasmin was a little bulky. Her blue eyes had a wild look to them, and her energetic face was a little chubby. Her nose was stubby, and her long hair was blond. She loved Mexican food. She always put the hottest sauce on her tacos. I told her that her tongue would burn off someday, but she only rolled her eyes at me. Jasmin also biked almost every day.

"'Sup," Jasmin said.

"Nutten," I replied.

"Uncle Matt went to Krogers," Jasmin said.

"OK," I replied.

"What'd you two wanna do?" Jasmin asked.

"Donno," Erin answered.

"Let's go into the cool house. It's boilin' out here," Jasmin suggested.

Ten seconds later, we went in the house.

"You guys want to do somethin'?" Jasmin asked, walking straight ahead to the kitchen.

"No," Erin and I answered.

"OK," she said and disappeared into the kitchen.

I went to the couch in the living room and sat down. Erin sat next to me.

The front door opened, and Uncle Matt walked in carrying plastic bags. I went to him and grabbed two of the bags. I carried the bags into the kitchen and set them down on the table.

"Thanks," Uncle Matt said. "How did you three do on your finals?"

"Pretty good, I used your trick about remembering the British kings," I replied.

"Good," he said.

"I did well, too," Jasmin and Erin added.

"Good job," he replied.