Diagon Alley

Depuis le début

No. I had to quiet my mind of all the questions. I didn't want to spoil the surprise. At least I was going to get a small taste of what Hogwarts was going to be like at Diagon Alley.

"Vince!" Dad called, and my heart fluttered. Was it time? "Lunch is ready!"

Damn. I thought to myself. "Coming," I hollered back.

On the counter were items such as bread, lunch meat, lettuce, mayonnaise, pickles, and tomato to make sandwiches. I made up a little joke as I made my sandwich, and sat down next to my dad, who was reading the afternoon paper.

"Hey, Dad, why don't wizards go to the desert?" I asked.

"Because of the sandwiches?" He replied.

Damn. I thought to myself again. "Yes." I replied aloud. Dad had kind of made it a game for me, to make up a joke that he couldn't guess the answer to, or to tell a joke he hasn't heard.

Dad chuckled, set his newspaper down and gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze. "It was a good try, though."

I smiled lightly and stared at my sandwich. The anticipation of what today would bring was tying my stomach in knots, and I didn't know if I was going to be able to eat anything.

"You alright, Vince?" Asked Mum.

"I'm just...not very hungry." I replied.

"Excited about Diagon Alley or nervous?"

"A little bit of both."

"Incoenatus." Mum whispered.

All of a sudden, my stomach seemed to untie itself and I was famished.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"You'll need your strength. Don't want you falling over or fainting while you're getting fitted for robes, because you didn't eat." Said Mum.

I must have eaten at least three sandwiches before Mum whispered "finite" and lifted the jinx she had on me.

"Alright, get your shoes on and grab a lightweight jacket, just in case." Mum said.

I rushed upstairs, very hastily and lazily put my shoes on and threw on a gray zip up hoodie.

Mum grabbed her jacket, threw it over her shoulder, kissed Dad's cheek, then told me to get in the car.

While we were in the car, I had to ask at least one question, one that wouldn't really spoil the surprise of what was waiting for me.

"Mum...would it be alright if I practiced at home?"

"No." She said, very gently, but very seriously. "Magic is forbidden at home. It's not me that made that rule, it was the Ministry of Magic, and it's called The International Statute of Secrecy."

"I didn't know the wizarding world had secrecy laws." I said.

"Oh they do, and they don't take too kindly to people who break the law."

Mum shuddered. It was as if she knew about what happens to people who break the law.

"What happens if you do?" I asked.

Mum stayed silent until we reached a stoplight, when we stopped, she looked at me with a wide eyed fear and said, "You don't want to know."

* * *