He was sitting far away on the edge of a grass patch, leaning against a large tree. He was too far away for Mike to be sure it was actually him... So he stepped closer.

Yep, it was definitely Will. He was wearing a white, long sleeved turtleneck, with denim overalls over it. One of the overalls' strap was open so it folded in on itself. On the pocket in the middle of the overalls was a small knit sunflower, and the outfit was topped with yellow converse and black and white socks.

He had large headphones on, and his eyes were tightly closed. his cheeks and nose were slightly red, and his lips were parted with the tiniest hint of a smile. Mike noticed that the overgrown hair he had liked so much was pinned to the side with a yellow clip. He couldn't help be a bit disappointed.

He looked... Completely at peace. Angelic perfect. A Pinterest post. 

Mike didn't know weather to walk away or say something, but before he could decide Will's eyes opened slowly.

Wow. The golden brown of his eyes just glittered in the sun- and maybe for the first time ever Mike truly realized what the color hazel actually is- not just a greenish brown, but gold and blue and green and brown at the same time.

"Hi," Will said softly, removing his headphones.
"Hi!" Mike replied, smiling slightly, "What are you doing?"

He sat down on the ground next to the brunette, crossing his legs.

"Oh, you know-" Will seemed self conscious, fiddling with the cable connecting his headphones to the phone, "It's such a nice day, so I thought I'd just enjoy it for a while. Not usually this much sun in October."

Mike felt stupid. He hadn't even really noticed the sunny weather- but now he realized how hot it really was. He realized he hadn't even worn his sweater.

"Probably should've put some sunscreen," Mike joked, and Will gasped slightly.
"Shit! did I-" He raised his phone and turned his face.
"My mom is gonna kill me. I swear, I can't go out." He lightly pressed on his burned cheeks, but gave up and dropped his phone.

It's cute, Mike wanted to say. It was- it was almost like he was wearing blush. It made him look that much sweeter-

"How's your nose?" Mike asked, although he could see it. He needed a change in topic. Will had put a bandage on the nose, white against the red of his cheeks and the dark bags under his eyes.

Will shrugged, thoughtlessly tracing his bandage.
"My mom made me put this on to make sure it sets properly. I tried to match it to my socks," He smiled, sticking out his leg so the socks were more visible.

Mike chuckled. He wasn't one to really notice what people wore, but Will's change of style was so drastic it was hard not to notice. How had he gone from wearing baggy shirts and jeans to a fitted overall and floral shirts? 

Mike actually really liked the way Will was starting to dress. It was so brave: He had never seen any boy wearing such bold clothes. He liked that even after literally being hit for his clothing, he didn't stop. Will was really strong, in his own quiet way. Mike had never noticed it, and it was kind of cute.

Will was kind of cute.

"Want a juice box?" Will asked, bringing him out of his thoughts. Mike glanced to the ground besides them, and sure enough a six pack of orange flavored juice boxes was besides him.

"Actually- yeah, that's kind of perfect," Mike said. Will seemed satisfied, smiling again. He handed Mike one, and opened one for himself.

"I know you guys probably drink like- beer or soda when you have the chance, but honestly I never got over juice boxes." Will said in between sips, and Mike couldn't help another laugh.

"Can't blame you." He took a sip from the chilled juice, thinking that it was so Will to drink juice boxes.

"So what were you listening to?" Mike asked, nodding at the headphones. Somehow that question embarrassed Will.

"Ugh- I'm that person," He moved his phone so Mike could see the screen. Ziggy stardust.

"Now I feel uncultured, making you listen to my top 40 playlist every English class,"Mike replied. Will's smile widened, and he looked down.

They stayed in silence for a few seconds.

"Oh- before I forget-" Will suddenly said. He turned to the yellow backpack next to him, opened it and pulled Mike's sweatshirt out.

He handed it to Mike.

"Washed and folded," He smiled. Mike felt a twitch of sadness. He almost... wanted Will to keep it. He liked knowing Will had it. And why was Will carrying it around? They hadn't planned to meet.

"Thanks," He muttered. He pulled it closer, letting it sit on his knees. 

"Well- um, I better head home." Mike said. Did Will looked- disappointed? or was it just Mike being hopeful?

"Thanks for the juice box," He waved the empty carton. Will smiled again. It was amazing how easy it was to make him smile.

"Of course. Thanks for yesterday," He said. Mike waved it off.

"See you Monday," He said, getting up. 
Will nodded, and put his headphones back on. Mike watched him for another half a second before heading back.

It was amazing how he could just listen to music and enjoy the sun. Mike would probably get bored after 3.8 seconds- but Will just seemed content. He was, ironically, like of like a sunflower himself.

A sunflower boy.

As Mike walked back, he couldn't help raising the hoodie to his face. His nose filled with the scent of Lavender and the hint of  fresh-mowed grass. It was Will's smell, and Mike had the urge to bury his face in it. He settled for wearing it instead, hoping he might get a hint of Will's smell that way.

2:56 pm

It wasn't until he had gotten home, played a whole game of monopoly with Holly and ate lunch, that he realized he had been on his way to Max when he found Will. 

He hadn't even thought about Hazel since the morning.

Will just had a way of making him forget about everything else. Even two hours later, Mike was still completely consumed with thoughts of Will's light brown hair shining in the sun.

He raised the edge of the sweatshirt to his face and took another deep inhale of Will's sweet scent. His mind wondered back to the previous night, thinking about how cute Will looked wearing his hoodie...

How cute he looked today in the sun.... 

The Byers boy was really doing something to his mind, and he didn't think he minded it at all.

[AUTHOR SAYS]

This is like the longest chapter I've ever written but I'm kind of in love with it ahaha (Also posted 2 chaps today because I felt like the one before this didn't really count)