Chapter 2: Preparations

Henri's feet swept over the slippery cobblestones, barely aware of where they were stepping, the only thing in his mind what just had happened. A thousand thoughts ran through his head. He had to tell his mother, and Charlotte, his wife, about Lawrence's visit. He had no idea how they were going to react. And he had to deal with the neighbours. They would quickly notice if there was an additional person in the house. And then there was Gabriel, the young boy that his mother cared for during the day. He was definitely smart enough to ask questions.

His mind had barely registered that he had reached the door to the small two-storey house in the quieter part of the neighbourhood that his family called home. In the dimmed light of dusk, it had an almost serene touch. Henri had grown very fond of the place in the few years they had lived here. No matter what unrests were going on around them, it always felt like a safe space. Charlotte particularly cherished the garden that was attached to the backyard. It offered a refuge from the outside world.

Even though the space was small, they could spend days without ever leaving their home. It was an ideal hiding place. And there would be room for one more person.

With this came the realization that his heart had already made the decision. Helping Nadine wasn't a matter of 'if'. It was a matter of 'how'.

His mother, Marie, was sorting out dried grapes on the small kitchen table, while Charlotte was feeding the toddler, which was good, so he could talk to them both at the same time.

After they had gathered around the kitchen table, he began to recall what happened. His mother's face grew more and more concerned.

"This man, Lawrence, thinks she's in real danger," Marie concluded, worry written in her eyes.

Henri nodded.

"But why? She's can't inherit the throne, and she hasn't committed treason against the country."

Henri hesitated. These were things he tried not elaborate when talking to his mother. That these trials not always ended in an ideal or just outcome, depending who you asked. Nadine's position in this whole affair had come up before, but then he never wanted to worry Marie. It was true, Nadine couldn't inherit the throne, which would most likely mean she'd be exiled from the country if she was arrested and trialled. But it wouldn't be the first time that wives, sisters or other female family members would be trialled and executed for the crimes of men, especially if that meant there would be one less royal to worry about. All it needed was one angry judge to sway her into mortal danger.

"Why wouldn't her family let her flee then?" Charlotte asked concerned.

"Her uncle won't let her," Henri said, and repeated what Lawrence had told him before.

When had reached the end of his story and Lawrence's plan, his mother nodded in agreement.

"Then that's what we'll do."

Surprised, he stared at her, then at Charlotte, who also nodded. "You seem very sure about this."

"Aren't you?" Marie asked him.

"I mean, yes..." he said hesitantly. "I's dangerous. For us. If anyone finds out that we have been hiding her, we'd be guilty of treason. I don't know what would happen to us."

His mother nodded slowly. "Yet the only other option would be leaving her in that palace until the mob takes it over and leads her to her execution."

Hearing her speak those words out gave him a shudder down his spine. No, never could he forgive himself if this was her fate only because he didn't help her.