"So…" Tom ransomed a long gaze in Harry's direction.

Harry ignored him, figuring he'd get to the point eventually.

"So you finally settled down, eh? Trying out the other side of the tracks?" Tom wagged his eyebrows at his friend.

"Man, what the hell are you talking about?" Harry said gruffly.

"You…and Bree?"

Harry started at the mention of her name coming out of Tom's mouth, but he quickly recovered. "How did you know about that?"

"Dude, everyone knows about that. You weren't exactly incognito when you guys were going at it yesterday after school."

Harry sighed in exasperation. "Fuckin' small towns…people don't have anything better to do than get in my business…"

"People are talking about it because they're shocked. I'm even shocked and I know you."

"What's so shocking? I kissed a girl. Big deal."

"Well, for one, you're like a vampire, Harry. You don't usually come out to play until dark. And two, this girl is like…not your type."

"What's my type?" Harry pretended to be interested.

"I dunno…Jocelyn?"

"Not even."

Tom laughed. "I know you don't like her…but I've never really understood why. I mean, she's pretty, she's the horniest girl I've ever met and she's totally into you. Why not go for it?"

It wasn't as if Harry had never considered Jocelyn. When she'd first approached him a few years ago, he had been interested at first. But after spending time with her, she just didn't hold his attention. And then the more time they spent together, the more obsessed she became. Lately they couldn't even have a conversation without Jocelyn putting him in a position where he had to turn her down or reject her. It was tiring.

"She just doesn't do it for me. No spark, or whatever." Harry summed up. "What'd she do, pay you to talk me into hooking up with her?"

"No. I just wondered. You guys do have a lot in common." Tom added.

"That's part of the problem. Jocelyn changes who she is for every guy she likes. When I go over to her house, she has everything I've ever mentioned in her room. If I like a band, she finds out every possible thing about them, buys every CD they've ever made, and just goes overboard. She makes me hate everything I thought I liked. Besides, what's the point in hanging out with someone if they're trying to be you? I'd just hang out with myself if I was that into me."

"True," Tom acquiesced. "But you did say she gave good head."

Harry looked unenergetically over at Tom. "Have you ever had bad head? I mean, as long as she doesn't bite it, it's good."

Tom was silent for a long while as they neared the school campus. Finally he started laughing. "I still can't believe you have a girlfriend."

"Who said anything about a girlfriend?" Harry challenged.

"But you…in front of everyone…so, wait…you guys aren't together?" Tom asked awkwardly.

"I don't do the label thing. We just kissed, end of story. She's not my girlfriend and I'm not her boyfriend."

"And she knows this?"

Harry shrugged. "I never told her otherwise."

"Well damn," Tom said in a near pout, "I thought I would finally get you to agree to that double date Connie has been bugging me about."