"In a way, Captain, I am dead. My obsession with the stones brought me here, a prisoner of endless servitude to the stone in your possession. My life is tied to its fate."

Steve opened the case in his hand and the golden amber stone glowed right before him, floating steadily in the center of a glass tube.

"Then that means you technically serve me, right?" Steve continued to mock.

"Just because one can wield the power of the stones does not make him its master. That's a fool's belief," the Guardian replied. "You are many things, Captain, but never a fool."

Steve shook his head in disbelief. His old enemy just complimented him, in a way. There was a small voice in his head telling him to kill Schmidt now, exact revenge and gain closure. But the permanent banishment in barrenness the stone imposed on Schmidt was enough payment for his atrocities. So he focused on the mission at hand. Steve picked up the tube.

"I'm here to return it. All part of the deal," Steve said.

The Guardian cocked its head slightly to one side and fell silent for a moment. It glided further up the mountain steps and Steve followed it. The Guardian led him all the way to the mesa, the flat summit of the mountain. Steve looked around and saw the expansive desolation of the planet. His heart sank thinking it probably was the last view Natasha ever saw.

"This never happened before," the Guardian said.

"Well, there's always a first for everything, Schmidt. What do you suggest? How should we go about this then?" Steve asked with urgency.

The Guardian looked a bit baffled. It glided back and forth for a while. It looked funny, Steve thought, to see its version of pacing. Then it stopped. It looked at the stone in Steve's hand then at the edge of the mountain. Steve followed its gaze, then his eyebrows furrowed. He carefully walked to the edge and peered down. He was not afraid of heights but this one made his stomach churn.

He did not know the details of Natasha's death there. No one asked Clint knowing how painful it would be for him. All they knew was Natasha did everything to see her mission through and secure the stone. Whatever it takes.

"Throw it down," the Guardian simply said.

Steve looked at it again, hesitation and suspicion etched all over his face.

"I am not your enemy anymore, Captain. I know no other purpose than guide those who seek the stone. And as its guardian, you have to trust me in this."

"You said the stone was never returned before but you're asking me to trust that this is the way?"

"Well, there's always a first for everything," the Guardian said.

Steve did not mind sass and he would have chuckled at that if the Guardian was not someone he despised all his life. But deep inside, Steve knew he did not have any other choice. There was no manual to tell him how to do it properly, so in his defense, he was just following what the Guardian of the stone told him. He would not make the mistake to think he knew better.

So Steve moved further to the edge. He extended his arm, fist firmly around the tube. He took in a huge, deep breath and released the stone. He leaned forward and tried to lock his eyes on the tube as it slowly became smaller and smaller. Then he saw the tube shatter into pieces, leaving the stone lying against the rough, hard bottom of the cliff.

Both him and the Guardian did not know what to expect after that. So when nothing happened few seconds after, Steve was more than ready to leave.

"There. It's done," Steve said to the Guardian.