Season 4 Episode 8: Anne with an E

Start from the beginning

I also have a few questions that I did not have the heart to ask you in person. Why did you stop writing to me? I didn't receive anything from you for weeks before I decided to come.

You keep telling me that my future is up to me, but you haven't really told me what you actually want. So, doctor Blythe, what do you want?

What do you say about a winter wedding? Watching you lay helplessly in bed and the endeavours I had to face to get to you made me realise that if we were married – as scary as the notion may be – we would be able to face them together. I realise that winter is but three weeks away, so I think a small wedding will be perfect. Tell me what you think about this – honestly?

I promise to do my best at Queens and make you proud. I also want to start looking for teaching positions in Charlottetown or Toronto, that way while you complete your studies I can be teaching, then hopefully I can convince Miss Stacy to let me teach the younger children at our old school in Avonlea.

Yours, Anne

It was late when Anne returned home, and she sent a telegram as soon as she arrived to Marilla. The boarding house was quiet with the girls studying, which for once Anne appreciated. She was warn out from travelling and lack of sleep that a bath and sleep were all she could manage. Her appetite had started to return, but the idea of eating didn't settle her. A slice of bread and tea – she told her head as she slipped into her room, to a very shocked Diana Berry

"Anne!" she exclaimed coming to give Anne a hug, the redhead hadn't realised that that was all she needed. A hug. "So good to have you back, is Gilbert truly better?" she asked helping Anne take off her coat. It was only then she realised how frail and tiered her friend was looking.

"He is, but the doctor told him to rest this week. So, I just hope he decides to listen to that" Anne added removing her hat and pins from her hair. "I am going to go wash up first Diana" Anne smiled weakly walking out of the room, she asked the maid to heat up some water for the tub. And soon after a slice of buttered bread and tea, Anne submerged her tired body into the hot water. Scrubbing herself raw and washing her hair, she spent the rest of the time bundled up into a tight ball, feeling her muscles relax for the first time. She noticed that she was looking skinner and paler than normal but quickly hid it beneath her night dress. Her hair was quickly combed and plaited, she didn't have the energy to do her hair any better so quickly discarded the lukewarm water and retired beneath the sheets staring at Diana, who was busy scribbling away.

"Oh Diana, please tell me I have not missed too much?" Anne asked tiredly.

"Well we finished the science section and will start looking at plants, so I am sure you can just join us and then ill help you catch up there. We were just reviewing the maths sections so I think you will be on track and with French, I can help you there so please don't worry." Diana babbled making Anne feel more relaxed. She had missed five days of school but was grateful that it being Thursday today, she would have the weekend off. Anne drifted to sleep and awoke to an empty room.

Putting on her blouse and skirt she was happy to still hear chattering in the dining room, which meant that she had not missed breakfast, the smell of bacon, and fresh bread carried Anne in, where the chatter immediately died. "Anne" Ruby exclaimed happily "I am so glad you are back"

"Now now, Miss Gillis, act like a lady" the matron hushed "Welcome back Miss Cuthbert" she smiled, Anne smiled back and tucked into some real food. She was so hungry that she tried to eat normally but her unusually sized bowl of oatmeal, a boiled egg, bacon and toast. She felt replenished and ready to get back to her studies.

"What are you going to do today Anne?" Diana asked happy to see her bosom friend eating.

"Sleep and catch up, I shudder to think how much I need to do now" Anne answered before swallowing her last bite with a cup of tea. She barely ate this last week, so the food in her stomach made her feel heavy and lazy. Anne sat at her desk and began working, determinedly she managed to get through two days' worth of work before lunch, she was determined to complete another two after lunch. She wanted to catch up and be done with it. Lunch was sandwiches and tea to which she ate with Diana as most of the other girls had gone into town. "Tell me, Diana, how are you and your many suitors?" Anne asked excited to hear of any new developments.

"You know it is not my choice Anne, my parents have selected Edwin and Colin, as they are the most prestigious of the group. But I must say I get along best with Colin, Edwin bores me to tears" Diana joked dabbing her lips dry. Anne laughed with her.

"Then I should meet this Colin of yours" Anne tried her best to make her friend as excited about the idea. "Is he tragically handsome at least?" Anne asked, to which Diana blushed. "I knew it Diana Berry!" she exclaimed picking up their plates to take to the kitchen.

Diana helped Anne with the last classes, and finally, she was all caught up. Sitting there at their desks which they pushed together to be in the centre of their room they smiled contently "you know what I haven't done in a while Diana, write" Anne looked up dreamily.

"Why not? You have so much to be inspired by" Diana added.

"I just... you know-how in my romance stories, I talked about Princess Cordelia finding her prince, it feels so different now because I know what that feels like, it has become so real" Anne signed looking back down to Diana.

"Isn't that more reason to write then?" Diana asked back, raising her eyebrow in confusion. Her friend seldom made complete sense, but Anne's ramble had confused Diana completely.

"I wouldn't know the words to explain it" Anne replied "because simple words do not seem enough to explain the feelings. Even explaining it and writing letters to Gilbert. I almost lost him, and I felt like I would be destined to live in darkness forever. I have never experienced a loss, I didn't have parents but I didn't know them. I know Gilbert, and he was so sick" she explained. Anne wanted so much to be able to write her feelings down to sort out her mind, but a blank piece of paper and fountain pen did not give her enough to start with.

"I hope you can write it down. Your story deserves to be written and read by all Anne" Diana reached out her hand and clasped her friends. Anne's heart filled with joy, she hadn't thought about writing about her life, it was rather tragical.

Thank you for reading, please support me by liking this chapter! Hope you have an amazing day!