Arc II (2) - 1594

Start from the beginning

Jenna looks through the window. The sun is not up yet. However, given the purplish traces that can be seen in the horizon, the brunette guesses it will be morning soon.

So, despite her comfort, she wakes up.

She has listed her chores in her mind before heavily falling asleep the night before. Waking up early, cleaning the house, making a healthy breakfast, checking Eliza's leg, probably preparing her a bath-

Sounds proper.

Jenna lights up a candle and tightens her sleeping clothes around her body.

Under the dim light, the house seems even more castle-y. The walls seem to extend endlessly until reaching the decorated ceiling. Everything is in order, the furniture, the household objects, the paintings. Everything is in order, but covered in a heavy dust, product of months and months of lack of human contact.

The house is still beautiful. Jenna can see it. It just need a tad of proper care. And a lot of time, to be honest, to deal with the amount of massive rooms connected with each other by means of big, black wooden doors.

But Jenna is a nurse. Patience comes naturally for her.

With that thought in mind, she begins to work.

-

Eliza wakes up groggily with the sun hitting directly against her face.

She's tired. She has only slept for what she feels it was a quarter of the night, if not less.

Her leg hurts sharply, her head is pounding, and she's lonely in that big house, so lonely-

Suddenly, a smell hits her nose. Eggs, soup and rice.

Maybe she's not lonely after all.

She stands up weakly, trying to put her weight on her good leg, and moves to the dining room going over the events of the day before. She walks carefully, almost disoriented. Besides the delicious aroma, there is something else that feels unusual. The whole house seems suddenly less dark, less cold.

As she reaches the room, she stops in her tracks.

Jenna is kneeling in front of the agarwood table, her brows furrowed and lips pursed as she tries to fix something on a plate. She's still on her nightwear, Eliza observes, trying not to blush, but the usually white clothing is covered by dirt.

Eliza's brain, now more awake, realizes.

Jenna has cooked. And she has cleaned as well.

Just as the thought lets an unexpected warm wave quicken the pace of her heartbeats, the nurse raises her eyes and finds the taller woman standing on the doorframe, staring.

Eliza feels herself blushing profusely, and she's about to let out a bad excuse for her actions. However, Jenna speaks first.

"Oh, my, Eliza, please. You should have told me you were awake".

She walks quickly in the direction of the soldier and interlocks their arms again.

"Please, tell me when you wake up so I can help you. Do you feel alright? You can have breakfast on a chair, if you wish".

"No, no, I- thank you", Eliza hears herself speak, perplex. She can form a complete sentence. "It's alright. I'll kneel".

Jenna looks at her in worry, but the tallest girl smiles in reassurance. The nurse is gentle in helping her kneel, and Eliza wonders about the way her leg seems to palpitate less whenever the girl is around.