Prologue

A smokey gray-and-white she-cat slowly padded after a large white tom with jet-black paws. Her pelt turning to a pale silver as moonlight washed over her. The large tom had led her behind one of the four oak trees at the Gathering. He sat down in front of the she-cat, his black paws shuffling nervously.

The she-cat sat down in front of him, silently panting. She was pregnant with her mate's kit and tired.

"What was it that you wanted to talk about?" The queen asked. He looked at her with love and care and took a deep breath before speaking.

"I was w-wondering . . . if you w-would b-be my m-mate." The tom meowed hesitantly.

The she-cat stood frozen. She loved him, but only as a friend. I can't be his mate! I already have one, and I love my mate. Anyway, if I didn't have a mate I couldn't have gone with Blackfoot. I would be breaking the warrior code!

She took a deep breath before speaking. She gazed into his amber eyes which sparkled with hope. "Blackfoot, I love you . . . but only as a friend. I can't be your mate, I already have one and I'm expecting his kit." She meowed gently.

Blackfoot looked down at his paws, his ears flatten with sorrow. She leaned down and licked his forehead and he jerked his head away.

"I'm s-" she began.

"No, no it's f-fine. I-I have to go." He meowed. He left her behind the oak tree and she sighed. Oh, what do I do now? I'm sorry Blackfoot, can you ever forgive me?