0 | Prologue

|   ✿  P R O L O G U E  ✿   |

| ✿ P R O L O G U E ✿ |

If there was one thing that Delilah loved almost as much as Stanley Barber, it was art. She loved every thing about it. The smell of paint and graphite lingering in the air, the sound of the brush or pencil as it moved across the canvas, even the paint splattered on her clothes or that found its way into her hair made her happy.

No matter what kind of art it was, Delilah would always get lost in her projects. Her favorites, however, had always been sketching and painting.

Maybe it was because it was a way of expressing who she was and how she felt, but what Delilah knew was that art was her escape. It was what washed away the dust of every day life from her soul.

Each stroke made her shoulders feel lighter. Each minute that passed made it easier to breath. And it was in those moments, those special little moments where Delilah was alone with her artwork, that she truly felt like herself.

Her love for art had developed from a young age. Her father had been the one to introduce it to her, having wanted to be a painter since he was a boy. However, meeting Delilah's mother and the new family he was suddenly brought into made him realize that being an amateur painter wasn't the best thing to do.

That didn't mean his love for art lessened because it seemed to do the opposite in fact. Now a moment in the studio in their house—which was really just a renovated office—meant he too got a chance to escape, a breath of fresh air away from the constraints of life.

Knowing how much art meant to him, Owen Carter had tried to involve his family. Delilah's mother Willow could never quite understand his love with art and it seemed that Delilah's older sister June was the same way. But not Delilah, no. For she was just like her father and that same wonder that filled his eyes sparkled in her own.

Art became an escape for Delilah almost instantly, something to help her forget about all the pressure being thrown upon her by her mother. It helped to forget about how she was never good enough in anyone but her father. Stepping into the studio meant stepping out of her sister's shadow and fully becoming her own person.

Art brought out the true Delilah Carter and Owen Carter saw that.

Time in the studio quickly became a habit for the two, each of them always wordlessly walking to the room when one of them was having a bad day and both walking out feeling better than when they had walked in.

However, the magic of the studio seemed to have dimmed in the past couple of weeks and Delilah knew it was because of what the future held for them.

Owen Carter was getting deployed.

Delilah's father had always wanted to join the military and fight in wars like his father and his grandfather. It had been hard and a tough decision for the Carter family, but Owen had finally been accepted and was told he would be leaving two weeks from that day, three days before Delilah's eighth birthday.