Chapter Eight: Loony

Students walked by in the corridors with a buzz, Draco's head was spinning as he was drowning with so many thoughts, An hour had passed and he still couldn't stop fidgeting around,  Stupid Blaise, he thought to himself. Draco knew he made a huge mistake, he ruffled his hair with frustration and walked down the hall with no destination, letting his feet carry him. He couldn't go to his own common room, Blaise would seize him and would ask too many questions, everybody would know what he'd done and he'd never hear the end of it. His father would know, he shuddered at the thought.

He walked carelessly, bumping into the First years and ignoring some hellos, but stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the person he was avoiding all this time.

Blaise stood in front of him and folded his arms with a teasing smirk which made Draco roll his eyes. "I'm a little offended that you didn't tell me a little sooner, " He teased.

“It was nothing, " He referred to Hermione.

"You don't need to explain, " Blaise said. "I'll keep it a secret"
Out of all Draco's friend, Blaise was the one he could trust, second to Theodore Nott. He knew he would keep it a secret, they were friends before they started at Hogwarts, he was the closest thing he had as a brother. Draco gave him a sly smile.
Blaise put his arm around his shoulders and led Draco to their common room, "Just curious, " Blaise said with a hint of mischief, "What really happened?"

Draco groaned in annoyance, he had to tell him later or Blaise would annoy him for the rest of his life.

At the library, as usual, Hermione sat with Luna Lovegood who she considered as a close friend. They've been there for almost an hour, Hermione's nose was stuck in the thick book that was laid on the table, while Luna just flipped through the pages, humming a sweet melody.

“Aren't you gonna do your essay, Luna?" Hermione raised her head from the book and stared at Luna's blank parchment.

"Oh, I did," Luna said in her sweet, monotonous voice.

"But it's blank, " Hermione raised her eyebrow.

"Sometimes silence is the best answer, " Luna said as she laid her head on the table and continue to hum her soft tune, What an odd girl, Hermione thought to herself but just continued to read her book in comfortable silence.

10:30 that night, Hermione listened to Ginny's complaints during her Quidditch practice in the Gryffindor common room. In the leather chairs, sat Seamus, Dean, Pavarti and Neville who tried not to look annoyed at Ginny going on and on about Quidditch.

“Second years are stubborn I tell you, ” Ginny grumbled. “They tell you not to do it, but they wouldn't listen, ”

Hermione just nodded her head along, doing her transfiguration homework.

One by one, every student went upstairs to sleep, wearing their pyjamas and fuzzy slippers, the boys went upstairs first, leaving the three girls in the warm crackling fire in the chimney.

“You going to sleep, Hermione?” Pavarti said, carrying her bag and gathering her things.

“I still got to monitor the halls, ” Hermione said.

“It's almost Eleven, I'm sure everyone's asleep,” Ginny said, yawning.

“You two go ahead, I just wanna make sure, ” Hermione said, the two girls just shrugged their shoulders and continued to head upstairs.

In fact, Hermione didn't monitor the halls searching for anyone out of their beds. She just needed to be alone.

Hermione's stomach tied into a knot, the piece of parchment in her hand labelled Department of Ministry made a single tear roll down her cheeks. She just received the letter and was expecting good news, but it turned out precisely the same just as before, she didn't tell anyone how she felt, not even Ron and Harry. She didn't want to be a burden to anyone, especially not to her two Best Friends. All she could do was swallow her pain that she'd always been hiding, she needed to be strong. She wiped her tear away with her sleeves and proceeded to head down from the Owlery, shoving the letter in her pocket.