Chapter 1

As I see the big mansion engulfed in flames I quickly hide behind a bush. I know that my little sister Doll should be here. Has she already been here? Has she left the house with Joker? I pray with all of my being that that's the case.

My hope is almost immediately shattered. I see Doll coming on her horse. She stops as she sees a tall man carrying a boy in his arms. My heart sinks. Those people are Black and Smile. The two newcomers. I strain my ears, trying to hear their conversation.

Doll is screaming at them, asking if they really are with the Yard. The question we've all been asking. Tonight is special. The Yard can't interfere now, not tonight. I freeze in my spot as I hear the tall, black-haired man say that they did not come to arrest us. That they came to kill us. That the little boy, Smile, is the Earl Ciel Phantomhive. The one we were supposed to catch and hand over to Father.

''But,'' Doll says desperately, ''what about Joker? And Father? Where are they?!''

The little Earl opens his mouth and replies with a terribly cold voice.

''I killed them.''

Doll screams as she runs towards the two of them with her knife. I want to stop her, tell her that it's a bad idea, but my legs won't work the way I want them to. Ciel Phantomhive doesn't even blink. Instead he turns his gaze onto Doll, looks at her with the eye that's glowing. He just says 'Sebastian'. I know inside of me that the show is over for Doll.

I'm sorry, Doll, I whisper in my head before sneaking past the two. I don't want to see what Sebastian, as he's apparently called, does to Doll, but I'll bet anything that it's brutal. I'm so, so sorry.

I enter the burning mansion and runs through the corridors. The fire doesn't bother me, instead it makes my skin feel good. Even so, I know that I must find Joker and Father right away.

I run into Father's most important room and go stiff at what I see. Father is lying there and so is the doctor. I realize that they're both done for. Tears spill from my dark green eyes as my body shakes with my powerful sobs. Right then I see him. He's lying there on the floor, seemingly lifeless. The man who took care of me since I was little. The man they call Joker. My brother.

I run over to him, making my way through the smoke filled room as fast as I can. Joker's new arm is laying a few meters away from him and his other arm is brutally cut off. I cry out in sadness and pain and throw myself at him. I hug him tightly to my chest and whisper to him through my tears:

''It's going to be okay, brother. I just know it's going to be okay. I'm going to save you and if not, we'll at least leave this place together, right? I... I'm here now... Brother....''

Those are the words I whisper in Joker's ears, even though I can feel the life force drain from his body. I know he won't live through this. I know it won't be okay.

My older brother dies right before my eyes. The flames are licking our bodies. I'm not bothered, but his body is quickly burnt to ashes. I scream in agony, tightly holding my burning brother in my arms, as the thick, black smoke is filling the mansion. The smoke fills my lungs and as I'm feeling my consciousness slipping away I'm saying a prayer. Not to God, not to Satan, nor to the angels or the demons, but to the Reapers.

"Please spare my brother's soul."