Part 10 - Land of dreams

Start from the beginning

"We've said more goodbyes than I can count," she heard him say in a tone thick with melancholy, while she faced the front of the house. "I can no longer see you fall apart every time we have to walk away from each other."

She turned about and staggered towards him. Accordingly, he extended to take both her hands into his. 

"The day I rushed you to the hospital, desperately praying you would survive," he continued, his eyes disclosing the hurt of a distant time. "I realized that loving you had changed me." Recovering from the sudden overwhelm, he smiled. "I wanted a future with you, even if it meant worrying about losing you on a daily basis."

Her vision blurred, as tears pooled into her eyes. She blinked to dispel them when he loosened his grip around her hands and cradled her face, his thumb brushing away the wetness on her cheeks. Placing a hand over his, she closed her eyes for a wink, while her mind slowly etched his words into her being. The novelty of the instance didn't escape her and yet, she shook fearing she would wake up any minute then. 

"But I couldn't act recklessly without taking precautions either." Her eyes opened catching him shake his head, while an unnamed anguish clutched his voice. "It's why I didn't reach out to you until there can be some constants in my life. So that I can give us a chance to be like every other mundane couple doing commonplace things."

She moved closer to him and his hands slid down to circle her waist. Tilting her head back, she gazed up just in time to find him settle into a smile. "To fear, yet be vulnerable too," he added unrushed, with an earnestness that was akin to a man taking his vows. "To take something but give in equally. To disagree, but be ready to make up too. And to choose you again the next day, and the day after. To keep falling in love with you over the little things. To live and dream of a life with you by my side..." She was fully leaning on him now, her legs weakened from the weight of the moment. A continuous stream of tears sprung from the pleasure of hearing her man openly express his wanting for her. "I want all those things for us," he declared.

Before he could say anything more, her arms locked around his neck. She raised herself on her toes and kissed him with a fervor he'd demanded earlier. For once he wasn't sparing with his words and she felt doused with the need to respond to him in no uncertain terms. This was an end and a beginning in itself, a land of her dreams, she reckoned, remembering the times they'd walked on eggshells, never spelling out what they were to each other. 

His hand raised to hold her face, his fingers curved around the side of her neck, gently easing the inhibitions with which she moved against him.  Eventually, she pulled back jolted into the reality that she may not be able to stop if she didn't let go then. Her bashful eyes wavered not to meet his, at which he smiled noting her advances. 

Releasing her from his hold, he led her to the door. "Take a shot at the PIN," he said slumping against the wall. Raising six fingers, he hinted that the passcode was six digits and watched her go at it with amusement. Both their birthday dates failed, nor was it the date they met at the DMZ.

"At this rate, we're going to be here all night," she sniveled, stomping her feet. He volunteered to key in a set of numbers, which she took a second to guess might have been the day they met at the Sigriswil Panorama bridge. 

There was no way she would have known the day when their fates had brought them together many times before. The date was a pleasant revelation. Her excitement mellowed and her eyes softened to admit she was touched.

"For now, this is my place," he said sounding tentative. "It can be our place if you would like it to be." He gazed at her for a long moment, reflecting the same question in his eyes. Even as she mustered a response, he straightened to get behind her. In one scooping movement, he lifted her into his arms and stepped past the threshold.