XII

To say I was busy the next day was an understatement. Apparently, the word had spread that I was the one who knew how to treat injuries and kids would bring me their friends so I could cure them.

What.

Yeah, I know. Do I look like a fucking doctor? Exactly. Yet, if I was fair with them we didn't have plenty of choices, so I decided to do my best.

I was not alone in my duties, Alex had joined (probably to compensate all of our awkward moments and maybe cause he'd seen the deathly stare Maya sent my way) and whenever I needed something I could just ask him to bring me things and he would. To be honest, it was sort of fun.

I just had to treat a few scratches and infections (nothing as wild as Josh's though) and made sure to give everyone a toothbrush (I had my own and always made sure to brush my teeth after every meal. What? I won't lose my teeth before I turn twenty!) I had also listened to Josh's advice and started writing easy D-I-Y treatments on the notebook he got for me in case I was gone... you know, just in case.

My hand was still unable to move but for most things, I only had to say "Rub this on the cut" or, "Here, take this cough syrup" so it wasn't like I actually needed my hands.

Then at some point in the afternoon, the weird shit started to show up. You know how kids get bored and do stupid things? Well, in the apocalypse it's the same, only by a thousand.

"You tried to do, WHAT?"

"He'd always wanted to try to stick his hand up the vending machine to see if he could reach the snack for free," Says his friend, blushing in embarrassment, "I tried to warn him..."

"For free?" I ask in exasperation, "Everything is free now, idiot! You could've, I don't know, break the glass and take the food"

His friend is sitting on the chair in front of me, holding his hand up, He has a huge cut that goes from his pinky to his wrist, it could need stitches.

"Alex," I turn to look at the boy, who seems to be struggling to not laugh, "could you get me antiseptic and bandaids?"

"Uh, sure," He nods, starting to walk away, "I'm on it"

"And you... sorry, what was your name?"

"Tyler"

"Tyler. Be a sweetheart and put your hand here," I point to the sink on my left and Tyler does as I ask, I push the button with my left hand and he winces, "I know it burns but we have to clean it before we cure it. Maybe you'll think twice before doing something stupid again. C'mon, wash it well"

Alex comes back moments after and I take the stuff, he watches me carefully as I work together with Tyler's friend to disinfect the cut and put one of those squared bandaids on it.

"There it is," I smile politely, "good as new. If the cut has troubles to heal you're gonna need stitches, so pray for this thing to work. You, Tyler's friend, keep an eye on him and if it doesn't heal you tell me okay? Tyler, If I see you even remotely close to a vending machine again, I'll kick your ass"

The boy yelps but nods, his friend gets him out of the restroom.

We wait a minute or two to see if anyone else appears, it seems like the accidents and wounds have stopped for the day.

"Let's go get something to eat," I grab the spare material we didn't use and put it all inside the backpack I have with me at all times, "if I stay here for the rest of the day I'll be dreaming about toilets tonight"

Alex chuckles, following me out.

"You know, you really look different," He walks beside me, "in a good way, like you're comfortable on your own skin. The last time I saw you this way was probably that time when you did the presentation on Da Vinci"