"Shit, you scare me," I reach for his hand but he's already looking at it with wide eyes.

"What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything!" I start to look frantically around the table for a new set of bandages and tape, "I mean, I did do it before when I stopped the bleeding, but your hand got infected on its own... not that it's any better but I mean, it was expected to happen! We don't have the right equipment and the way I didn't surely wasn't the best-"

"Y/N, you're freaking out," He cuts off my rambling, "and that's freaking me out, so just... take a deep breath and help me."

"That's what I've been doing since you did that to yourself," I grumble as I finally found what I need, "you know, if we don't find medicines and stuff, you're gonna die."

"That's nice," He drags his legs towards the edge of the bed and sits, outstretching his arm so I can put the bandages on it, "So what do we do?"

"We should go out and find them," I reply calmly, "not you, you can't go anywhere with your hand like this."

"I'm fine. I can deal with this on my own."

"Has the infection already reached your brain? You can't deal with it on your own, you'll die."

"I heard you the first time. I'm still going."

"Listen here, you little shit," I grab his left wrist tightly while I finish putting the tape around it, "I don't know how strong and brave do you think you are, or if you think that going through all this trouble is gonna make Sam forgive you for whatever it is that you fought. But I spent the worst time of my life trying to keep you alive so you can reunite with her, and I'll be damned if I let you throw all that to the garbage and die cause you're too stubborn."

Josh blinks rapidly after my rant, speechless or maybe just too affected by the infection that he can't even think of a whole sentence. He gives a short nod and mumbles.

"Alright, I'll wait."

"Thank you," I scowl, "now eat. You didn't have dinner last night and you need it."

I throw the twinkies on his lap and he jumps, taken by surprise. I walk out the store to get food for myself and I run into Crumble, who now has Josh's finger inside a hot dog bun.

"Uhm," I stare at her lunch tray, "are you gonna eat that..?"

"Smells so nice..." Crumble stares at it and stands up suddenly, "I need sauce."

She runs out and I'm left there looking at the finger in disgust.

Why, why is my life such a freaking nightmare?

"Hey, Y/N," Eli is standing against the curtain, I can't tell if he's been there the whole night, "you look stressed, princess"

"Please, don't ever call me that," I groan, "what do you want?"

"I heard Josh is having medical issues," He smirks, "the pharmacy is on my side..."

"Listen, I don't have a say on whether you stay there or not, don't try to blackmail me."

"Okay then," Eli raises his hands and steps back from the curtain, "make sure to get rid of Josh's body before it starts to stink."

"Fuck off," I hiss.

This is all wrong, how did I get myself into this? I was supposed to be a loner so this kind of shit wouldn't get to me. By this kind of shit, I mean injured people and feelings. I'm a good person, so naturally, I wanna do what's best for others instead of putting my own safety first. I always did this, even before the end of the world, and it always ended in one thing, which is me, completely worn out and alone.