On Her Own

^Ten Years Later^

Maddy locked the diner door after herself. Finally morning. It couldn't get here fast enough. She went about turning everything on, starting ovens and pulling dough, setting out the days flowers. She heard the bell ding over the door and a smile tried to turn up the corners of her mouth, but she knew what was coming and kept a straight face.

"Madeline, i was told the sixth Thursday of the month was free kiss day. Is that true?"

"Sorry, Harvey, but it is not the sixth Thursday. Hate to break it to ya." She looked him dead in the eye, snickered when he cracked before she did. "How's the wife Old Man?" She pulled out a coffee cup and poured his usual black, being careful to place it further from the edge, as she was starting to see his getting cloudy again.

"Caroline is doing wonderful. Mean as ever and her mother ain't much better."

"Well you just be sure to get their breakfast before you leave and give them my love."

"Girl, you know I can't go home without it, they'd likely come down and get you to tell on me, then our affair would be finished." She smirked at him. Eighty-eight years old and he just didn't give a shit anymore. He did and said what he wanted, but he was always kind and any fool could see he loved his wife to death.

"Oh, and I've got a new bread I would appreciate your mother-in-law giving a try. She gives the best pointers."

"Will do. She'll probably have you on the phone for an hour before the day is done." He sipped his coffee more and they settled into an easy quiet. It had been his place first, after all. She had meant to only apprentice then move on into Austin, but the small town had grown on her and she just couldn't leave. When he and his wife had approached her about selling, she had been over the moon that they trusted her enough with the business and the recipes. They had insisted she change the name and the look, though. Having owned the place for over sixty years, they were sure she could put a fresh touch on the place.

"The Pony getting anything interesting lately?" Harvey was always first so they could have a decent chat before the rest of the town woke up. She adored him like a father and cherished these moments with him.

"We have a group coming through at the inn so they've up the order for next week. Seems we have some good eaters coming. Either that or they don't plan to use the kitchen on their own while they're here. I'll be up to my ears in donuts, biscuits and bread for the whole week."

"Why is it so many of you young'uns can't cook? It seems like y'alled all starve to death if it weren't for McDonald's and gas station hot dogs."

"You got me. I can't stand that stuff. Now, what would you think if I opened up the menu to some more lunch items?"

"I think I would need to get bigger pants."

"Harvey!" She couldn't help laughing at his compliment.

*****

"It's not a bad pic, man

"It's not a bad pic, man. So...are you still coming cross country with us? We will end up in New York and maybe audition for some Broadway. Maybe we'll get lucky and end up with some work for a while."

Zac smiled as he shook his head at Eric. "Yeah, man. It'll be good to get out of L.A. Maybe we can stop about halfway or something."

"Already got the 'or something' planned. There is a festival of some kind when we pass through Texas, so we will be there for about a week. Got the hotel booked and food ordered and everything."

"I think i feel a bit sorry for the folks cooking. I know I'm bad but you nearly lit the place on fire once, Zac." Sam said as he came out of his room.

"Hey, in my defense, no one told me you have to turn down rice once it boils."

"No one said you could cook either, but we all know better than to let you. Maddy always would warn us before a boys night." Zac felt a pang at Eric's words. He still missed her. He couldn't even be friends with other girls because he would compare them to her and they would get pissed and never come round again. "Hey man, you alright?"

"Yeah, I just need to go grab some stuff from home before we head out. We've got a couple days before we go, right?"

"Yeah, man, but try not to go by when your mom's there. She seems like she's gotten worse since high school."

"She did, but we all live away from home now, so maybe she's better." He headed out to work and didn't see his friends share a look.

"Not bloody likely, dude."