two.

cass

the sun is something i've looked up to for as long as i can remember, literally and figuratively. no matter what happens i always know it'll come up tomorrow. and it's reliable.

when i wake up, it is always there. i smile at it and continue my day. it gives me strength.

when the sun sets, it's rays move slowly along the expanse of my street, as if it's telling me goodbye. so i wait each evening in the grass to say goodbye back.

but as the sun started to fade away today, a truck made its way down my deserted road, and slowed to a stop.

i watched my reflection in the driver's window disappear as a boy came into view. cigarette smoke filtered through the open window.

"whatcha doin out here all alone?" he asked me, running his fingers through his hair. i bat my eyes and gave a tight lipped smile.

"i'm saying goodbye to the sun." i reply. the boy laughed dryly, taking the cigarette out from between his lips.

"the names orion. what's yours?" orion raised a brow at me.

"cass. short for cassiopeia." i tell him. he grins at me.

"cassiopeia, i like it" orion pauses for a moment. "if i told you that the lord sent me, would you believe it?"

the breath catches in my throat.

"yes, yes i would."

he almost looks relieved. i watch as he sticks his free hand out the window in search for mine. i give it to him.

"then you'll believe me when i tell you that the lord's gonna send me tomorrow too, cassiopeia." he puts the cigarette between his lips and squeezes my hand. i pull away.

orion looks into my eyes, as if searching for something, and then drives off.

i stand there, stunned. the sky is dark, and the moon has replaced the sun.

"i forgot to say goodbye."