CHAPTER THREE

Blake hauled the man out of the plane, dragging him onto the stretch of glass

 Blake hauled the man out of the plane, dragging him onto the stretch of glass. "Go get him water!" Tom ordered in a panicked bark. Will took his helmet off, speeding off towards the spickett. Eliza stood frozen, unsure of what to do. Her eyes watched as the man fought against Blake, then the silver glint of a blade caught her eye. "Stop!" Blake wailed. The man plunged it into Tom's abdomen—Eliza met the pilots eyes, the hot feeling of tears welling into her eyes pooled over her dirty cheeks as she bolted to Blake. "No, no, no!" She screamed.

Will heard the commotion and shot the German dead as Eliza tore Blake's shirt open, looking at the wound. It was deep. "Let me sit." Blake says. Eliza lowered him to the ground.

"No, we can't sit. We have to find the second, remember? Your brother, we have to go now." Will said, putting his hands on top of Eliza's to keep the blood in.

"You can start on without me, I'll catch up." Blake says. Eliza watched as the young boy paled.

"You can't stay here." She said. Will grabbed the front of Blake's jacket.

"We have to move, alright?" He says.

"Come on!" Will says, holding Blake up, but the Blake starts to scream. "Put him down! You're hurting him!" Eliza cried.

"We have to keep moving! We can't leave him here!" Will hisses.

With tears pouring down her cheeks, she speaks through gritted teeth. "Put him down." Will's chin quivers, but he lowere Blake back down, laying the younger down in his lap, and she presses her hands to his wound.

"Your brothercl Will says to Blake.

Blake nods. "You'll recognize him. He looks like me, and he's a bit older." Blake says, crying. "What was it?" Blake asks.

"You were stabbed." Eliza says.

Blake nods. "Am I dying?"

The question hung in the air for a moment, and Will spoke. "Yes. Yes, I think you are." He says.

"Will you write to my mum for me?" Blake questions.

"I will." Will says.

"Tell her I wasn't scared." Blake says.

"Anything else?" Eliza asks. "I love them...I wish that...I wish...talk to me. Tell me you know the way." He pleads, holding onto both Eliza's and Will's hands, blood sticking to them.

"I know the way. I'm going to head southeast until I hit Ecoust. I'll pass through the town and out to the east. All the way to Croissiles Wood." Will says, soothing Tom.

"It'll be dark by then." Blake informs. "That won't bother us." Eliza says.

"We'll find the second, we'll give them the message, and then I'll find your brother." Will continues.

"Just like you, a little older." Eliza says. Tom's eyes close, and Eliza removes her hand from his, removing the rings and all his jewelry. Will grabs a dog-tag.

"Is everything okay?" A voice asks, startling them. Will looks up, and nods. "Boys, help him out." A man ordered, and they helped Will take the body to a different place, somewhere not as messy. Will set Blake's body down where he could see the cherry blossoms. Home. The man introduced himself to Eliza as Captain Smith, and she explained their mission. "I'm sorry about your friend. May I tell you something that you probably already know? It doesn't do to dwell on it." Smith says, and both Will and Eliza nod.

"No, sir." Will says.

"Come with us, we'll help you there." Smith says, and they got to the trucks, Will helps Eliza on. They get on, and every man is looking at Eliza weird. She is used to it at this point, but, everything felt different after what just happened. One of them offered Will a flask, which he took a swig from, and handed it to Eliza. She gripped it in her hands, and tipped it back. It burned down her throat she handed it back. The truck came to stop, and struggled to move. Will saw the tires were stuck, and ordered everyone out to help push it. Will was determined to finish this mission for Tom, as was she. They got the truck unstuck, and then climbed back in, this time, Eliza sat next to Will, grabbing his hand as they kept moving. The man across from her was looking at her, her blood stained hands and the mud on her face. He offered a smile, which she couldn't return, but gave a nod. Will gave her hand a soft squeeze as the truck slowed again.

"Everyone off!" Someone ordered, and Will got off first. Captain Smith walked to the pair, and spoke. "They broke the bridge, so we can't get across. I think this is when we depart." Smith says.

"Thank you, sir." Will thanked. Will led Eliza to the broken bridge, and then turned to her.

"You have to be careful, the water is too cold to swim." He says, and she nods. He goes first, walking down the broken half. She follows, arms balancing her. Will makes it to the middle, and he jumps, grabbing onto it.

She follows his movement, almost falling back into the water. "Careful." He says. A shot went off, and Will ducked. "The top window." She says to him, and he nods, climbing to the other side. At the end of the bridge, he loses his grip and falls. He falls into the shallow water, and steadies himself on the cement. She ducks on the railing, looking down at him, wondering what she is supposed to do. He makes a movement with his hand. "Jump." He whispers, opening his arms. She fell back, and he steadied her.

Will raised his rifle, and cocked his gun, and shot. They went back and forth a few times before he hit the man. "Okay, let's go." He says. He hoisted her up onto the ground, and they slowly and cautiously walked towards the building, and opened the doors. "Will?" She says before he enters.

"What?" He asks.

"All things from here on out are for Tom." Her words cause him to give a small sad smile.

"Of course." And with that, he entered the building.

" And with that, he entered the building

edited 4/26/23