thirty nine

it began at dawn, my sudden urge to awake and track down the forbidden "lovers".

tapping elizabeth on the shoulders, the girl shuddered awake, her green eyes looking into my soul.

"goodmorning sesame street, we gots to go." i say rushing her to stand up. i would have hoped to find a place i could find clothes from, without being suspicious. surely a girl in a lab gown and another in dirty jeans and a tattered windbreaker would set someone to be unsettled.

soon i would find me and elizabeth in a small town, peeking through the trees from the forest, i discovered what i thought to be a small family owned boutique.

i check the small pocket clock hop gave me, it was nowhere near halloween, but i could say that elizabeth was in a costume, although the dirt spot on her body wouldn't conform with that.

walking into the small boutique, the door bell rang sweetly, making the little girl jump.

i run my hands through the hangers of the teen section, the pretty bright fabrics, soaking myself into the sweet comfort of being a normal teen for a moment, shopping with the love of my life, michael ted wheeler.
it was a tug of my coat that awoke me from my falsend reality.

elizabeth stood below me, pointing to an outfit displayed on a shiny white mannequin

^^^^^
i stroked the fabric with my hand, admiring the seams and stitches. i ran my hand to the tag-
$25.
i shuffle in my pocket, she needed something to wear. i pull out two twenties, which i had meant to spend on food and such, i look to the girl, her face covered with a teen magazine, bright pink and teal, flashy colors.

"ma'am, i'll take this full outfit, shoes and socks." i walk to the front desk and see the girl pull back the magazine, permed frizzy hair and magnified eyes from her chunky glasses. her mom appeared behind her, a puff of cigarette smoke following her, elizabeth scrunched her nose.

"twenty five and a penny!" she smiles awkwardly, bright purple braces showing. i hand her the two twenties and look behind me to the other clothes

 i hand her the two twenties and look behind me to the other clothes

(choose and comment! i picked 2!)

"i'll have that one over there as well, no shoes." i look down at my sub par vans.

"alright rounds total is 35" i smile at her. i have $5 left. now i really need to get back, or figure out a way to morally shoplift from family businesses.

the girl waited for her mom to walk by, then quickly wrote on the receipt, folding it and passing it to me, i smiled to her and left. the bell rang as we left, i turned back to see the girl looking at us like she was worried. i look at the receipt. there layed my money, she hadn't taken any of it. in pink pen, she wrote "need a place to stay, call me! 7815691223 -salli brewer"
i smiled sweetly to the note and put it in my pocket along with the money.

"okay, i guess we should probably find some place to bunk, huh?" i say, looking to the girl and ruffling her hair.

mike pov, last night

i fucked up.
well,
i fucked max.

the girl, who i hadn't like one bit layed with her hair sprawled across my chest. i wanted to cry, puke, gag!

what had i allowed myself into? i didn't want this. my girlfriend is pregnant, dead, cold.

at the thought of my girlfriend stone cold i jerk up and push her off me. i felt chills down my spine, she was here. i could feel her even though she was gone.

"get out." i speak through my teeth, calmly.

"w-what?" she flips her hair to other side of her face.

"i said get out!" i tell clenching my fists. she jumps up, grabbing all of her things and leaving.

i grab my hair with my hands and fall back onto my bed, staring at the ceiling.

next day

it was her funeral, she was really dead. i stared into the mirror, looking at myself blankly. i'd wonder how her face looked when they pulled her cold blue body out of the barrens. was she scared? had her eyes been wide open? was she peaceful, smiling?!
no, no. it wasn't her.

hopper invited me to see the body before the funeral, he said he wouldn't be able to make it, but he gave me the adress to the coroners room.

4356 bigby drive room 208

alright, i'd thought, fixing my tie finally.

a sudden lump formed in my throat, was it the pills that didnt go down all the way, or the vomit that would soon be all over my mirror?

the vomit, it was.

another timeskip to coroners room

i was there, behind the glass looking at the naked body of my dead girlfriend. she wasn't showing, which was odd because she was slightly when she left my house that night.

this wasn't right, oh and there's that lump again. slowly i make my way to the door, turning the handle slightly and feeling it click open.

the empty room is so quiet, it's loud.

i prowl up to her, reaching my hand to stroke her face.
when i touch it, my whole body shudders.

nancy's baby dolls. this felt like a doll.
maybe it was the stuff they used to seal her face, or a new moisturizer she was using? i work my hand lower, to her chest (not her breasts!) and press my hand deeper, it pushes down like a vinyl baby doll. it springs back up when i removed my hand. i quickly draw my hand back in disbelief

my shaky breath and hands led to a scalpel i felt for on this metal trap, in wish i instinctively placed into my grip and into her chest lightly. fuck, i thought. this could go wrong.

but it hadn't! i felt the ending of the "skin" and i pulled it back

cotton.

loads of it.

all in my hands