13: The Gift of Friendship

Start from the beginning

"Oh, you're out of the bath too?" I asked.

Kyo glanced over his shoulder at me as he filled a water glass. "Yeah," he grumbled. "The little brat Momiji kept swimming in the bath and splashing me. He acts like he's a little kid!"

"Well, he is a little kid, isn't he?" I asked.

Kyo paused and gave me a strange look. "He's the same age as you and Haru."

"HE'S WHAT?!"

Kyo snorted, clearly amused by my reaction. "You really didn't know?" He asked. "He'll be going to school with us next year. Haru too."

"Wow, so we'll have four Sohmas at our school . . ." I smirked. "That means there will be two more people who can bother you!"

Kyo and Haru seemed like an explosive combination who would fight a lot. I mean, Haru visited our school just to fight Kyo on the day of the marathon. Momiji and Kyo together was also explosive, but it was more like matches and gasoline with that duo. Momiji seemed to know just how to push Kyo's buttons without meaning to. And then there was Yuki who could push all Kyo's buttons simply by existing. With all those personalities in the same school, it was sure to be interesting.

"Don't remind me," Kyo grumbled.

I shrugged. "You brought it up. But at least you have me there too. I'll only bother you a little," I teased.

Kyo made a noncommittal grunt. We finished getting our water glasses and headed down the hall. Kyo glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, but didn't say anything. We headed back to the room in silence and sat at the table. Kyo was still glancing at me. I got the feeling he wanted to say something.

"What is it?"

Kyo dismissed my question instantly. "Ah, nothing," he said. I didn't believe that, and he knew it. "Well . . ." Kyo hesitated for a breath. "I was wondering . . . Earlier, did you mean what you said?"

I sipped my water thoughtfully as I waited for Kyo to elaborate. He didn't. I set my water glass down and it clicked against the wood as if accenting my words. "Depends. What did I say?"

Kyo frowned. "You said that you trusted me. And when that brat Momiji kept saying that we l-liked each other, you said you just thought of me as a close friend. Did you really mean those things?"

I chuckled. "Of course I meant it," I said. Kyo's shoulders relaxed and he shrunk back a little for some reason. Was he embarrassed? Relieved?

"What's wrong?" I asked. "Are you disappointed that I only see you as a friend?" I teased.

"No! I . . ." Although he hesitated for a second, his voice was full of certainty as he finished his idea. "I wasn't disappointed," he said.

Wow. Kyo was being rather honest with his feelings. That was new. I wasn't sure what to say in response to his sudden confession of emotion.

"Give me your hand," Kyo said suddenly.

My immediate reaction was to smirk and tease the boy for his sudden outburst. "Huh? You wanna hold hands?" I raised an eyebrow at Kyo.

"NO! Just give me your hand!" He yelled again, blushing this time.

I laughed and obliged his request. Kyo quickly dropped something into my open palm. A thin bracelet made of orange and black strings woven together and tied off with adjustable knots.

My heart sank like a stone in water; I'd made the bracelet for Kyo as a Valentine's gift. I hadn't seen him wear it ever since I gave it to him, so I couldn't say I was surprised that he was giving it back to me. But it stung to have the gift rejected like this.