chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

"No, no! I meant, it's just, you know, black and red has always been like... you." Allie interjected, placed her words carefully, "it's just a surprise for me, a good one though."

"I don't know..." Natasha murmured, looking through the same rack. A look of displease quickly settled on her face. "These look too girly."

Allie laughed, shaking her head. Of course, mom, that's what you say to every color other than black. "Let's see..." She got out an emerald-green evening gown. "This?"

"Eh. Too leafy."

A silver one with rough diamonds. "This?"

"Too shimmery."

"How 'bout blue?"

"Aqua doesn't really blend well with my hair."

Allie groaned, taking out the last one in the rack. "Well, if none of these pass your standards then I guess we'll just have to tell Ms. Potts that-"

"Wait, wait, wait, stop." Natasha interrupted, holding out her palm, "Let me see that."

Allie raised an eyebrow, "This?"

Natasha nodded, ushered her hand with a give it to me gesture, "Hand it over." She held out the dress, inspected it for a moment, and walked towards the mirror. After a few seconds of consideration, she nodded, "I'll take this."

Allie gaped at her, "Really? That?"

Natasha looked her way, gave a sly smile, "Yeah."

"Oooooh," Well, it seems like she doesn't know too much about her mom's taste in clothes before. She's probably trying out something different. "Okay, let me help you try that on—"

"Nah, it's fine. I got it covered."

"Wait, what?"

Then she went straight to the counter and paid for the gown in cash.

  —————————————————————————————        

"Does this make my ass look flat?" Clint asked, craning his neck to take a look himself.

"Your ass has been flat since you learned how to shoot arrows, Katniss." Tony remarked.

Clint glared at him. "Hey! I do not!" He took another glance at the mirror, "It's probably because of these pants."

"Dude, that's the finest fabric they have here and I doubt it's the problem." Tony nodded at James's direction, "Our boy here got nothing to worry about that, right, James?"

James shot him a look, embarrassed, "Mr. Stark!" He tried to cover his butt. 

Clint scoffed. "Puh-lease, if we're talking about asses, no one still beats America's ass."

"Hey!" Steve's interjected, eyebrows knitted, "How did I get dragged into this?"

"I don't know... Thor seems to be catching up with that record." 

"Or the Hulk."

Bruce sent the both of them a flat look.

James let out an exasperated sigh, he couldn't be any redder. "Can we stop comparing asses? I thought girls only do that?"

"Fine, fine. Sorry." Clint apologized, "Anyway, I still don't get why we need to get a new coat and pants just for the party."

"It's going to be the party of the year!" Tony exclaimed with a grin, grabbing a new set of tux. "You think I look good in Dolce? Oh wait, I look good in anything."