Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Kevin and Sophie shared an amiable banter while they walked through the crazed streets of Chicago.  Everyone they passed seemed to have grocery bags in tow, weighed down with nonperishable cans and dry goods.  People strained to carry multiple gallons of water.

"You know my name, but you never gave me yours," Sophie said.

"My name's Kevin."  He purposely left off his surname.  He didn't know why he was walking with this old lady.  He had never met her before and his mom was always harping on him about not talking to strangers.  But Sophie seemed different, not scary or threatening.  Yet somehow, there was something recognizable in her.  Maybe she shared similarities with his grandma.  Walking with Sophie seemed to bring him a certain level of calm, and as long as he was fleeing from Mr. Freakshow, he would take it where he could.

"Kevin, I'm glad to have met you." 

He made sure to match her more casual pace.  Sophie seemed to be oblivious to the tension in the crowd.  She would nod or give some other small gesture to most of the people as they hurriedly walked by, as if in recognition, but she couldn't know all of these people.  Could anyone be so nice?

They had gone a few blocks and he was beginning to realize just how tired he was.  It wouldn't be dark for quite a while, even with the days getting shorter, but Kevin was getting hungry and he would have to start thinking about where he was going to sleep.  When he found a safe place, he would rest his eyes for a couple hours, get off his feet and try to relax.  If relaxing was possible anymore. 

Sophie spoke as they walked.  "So, Kevin, what are your big plans?"

"I was thinking about heading out to the country, maybe hook up with a farm or ranch or something like that."

"That sounds wonderful.  I grew up on a farm."

"You did?"  Kevin had never met an actual farmer, but he had an idea they were a different kind of person, almost like from a foreign country.  Farmland surrounded his hometown of Warren Cove, but it always seemed far away.  "My grandpa was a country boy," he said, remembering what his grandmother had recently mentioned.  "He didn't like the city, and I don't think I do, either."

"A farm is a nice place for a kid to grow up.  I sure enjoyed it.  I milked cows and split logs all the time."

"You split logs?"  He sized up Sophie with a quick glance.  He couldn't imagine her being able to lift an axe, let alone use one to split logs.

"When I was younger I was as fit as you.  And I was always strong for my size, even though I'm a girl."

They didn't talk much after that.  Occasionally, Sophie would point to where she wanted to turn.  Kevin didn't want his words to ruin this respite from fear.  He was glad Sophie wasn't asking about his parents or trying to turn him into the cops as some kind of juvenile delinquent.  He was sick of people asking about his parents.  And from now on, he had to accept the fact that he didn't have any.  Distancing himself from thoughts of his mom--thinking about her frantically searching for him, crying over the loss of him, his grandma trying her best to console her--none of this could bother him anymore.  He was on his own, and it would stay that way, for his safety and the safety of his family.

"This is my stop, Kevin."  Sophie stopped at a corner.  They stood and looked at each other for what seemed like a long time.  "I've enjoyed talking to you, Kevin.  Would you like to stop in and have some chocolate chip cookies and talk some more?  You can meet my husband."