xxiii | 𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳

"i'm sorry i didn't say anything before leaving. everything was too sudden for me too," (y/n) pulled emma in for a hug, "i didn't have a chance to think about the consequences," she continues as she rub the green eyed girl's back in circles.

"(y/n)," emma mumbled as she pulls away from the hug.

"oh—it's sister (y/n) for you, emma," the (h/c) haired girl said jokingly.

"(y/n)," emma called again, this time, whining. she looked at (y/n)'s eyes sorrowfully, desperately trying to hide the little tears falling from her eyes, "i'm sorry we failed," she said softly.

before emma could lower her vision, (y/n) flicked the girl's forehead, "cheer up emma, everything's going to be fine. norman told me everything."

emma was close to tearing up again after hearing the said boy's name. and (y/n) immediately raised her hand and shook it in front of her.

"w-wait, uh- y'know-," she tries to calm the weeping girl down, panicking in the process, when she remembered something important.

let's settle this. norman's voice echoed through her mind as she recalls their last conversation.

"emma," (y/n) said as she held the girl's shoulder.

"i... i had a conversation with norman that night," the (h/c) haired girl wore a downhearted smile, "he told me you're the only one i can tell this."

emma couldn't soeak of a while, almost as if she's not ready to hear what norman's last words for her.

"wh-," emma stuttered, "what did he tell you?"

× × ×

"i see you're alone again, emma told me you've always been like this ever since me and norman left," (y/n) silently closed the door behind her, leaving only her and a certain ravenette inside the room.

the boy, who didn't even bother to turn his head to look at her direction, heaved a deep sigh before flipping to another page on the book he's reading, "i'm ray. i'm always like this."

"i mean, i did say you're always down but i have to disagree with that," says (y/n) who placed a finger on her chin as she scans the book titles on the neatly arranged shelves.

"how can you say so?"

(y/n) shrugged, not knowing ray is not looking at her, before swiftly getting a book off one of the shelves. she then continues to walk around the room, "you know, at this point you're just running away from your problems, right?"

ray closed the book he's currently reading before staring at nowhere, "you know at this point i can't really do anything about it, right?"

(y/n) fetched another book from the shelves before speaking up again, "i doubt that."

"this stupid little-" ray scratched his head in irritation, "why can't you just go-?!"

"i've been harvested, i'm long gone," (y/n) stated monotonously, placing the books she chose one by one on the table, "just kidding," she chuckles shortly afterwards.

the boy, upset and sad that his imagination is playing with him like this, angrily turned his head to the source of her voice and was taken aback to see that the girl is indeed standing there with her back facing him.

(y/n)...

he noticed how she moves differently than how she does before as she collects books from the shelves. he saw how her hair was tied in a low bun, it was a bit messy, but he knew she still looks stunning in it.

she looks elegant.

especially in her current uniform. which he thought is only wore by the caretakers of the farm, the mama and sisters.

(y/n) turned to look at him, and her dress swayed a little because of the movement, then she gave him a small smile. ray's heart skipped a beat.

"you're not real," ray whispered as he tries to convince himself, "you're not here," he gripped his hair tightly before looking back down to his lap.

"it wasn't my intention to leave without saying anything, ray," (y/n) placed another book to the pile on the table, "i'm sorry, i hope you forgive me."

ray didn't answer. he sat silent, thinking he must've been going crazy.

she turned around once again, and says, "if you're not willing to help emma and the others to escape from this farm, then who will?" she spoke, curious about the boy's expression.

(y/n) continues to fetch one last book from the shelves, "why aren't you taking care of yourself?we promised to each other that we won't let any harm come to us right?" she lectured, placing and opening all of the book covers separately on the table. she finally stopped searching for more.

run. doubt. harvest. truth. farm. monsters. danger. the morse codes written on all the books read.

the next thing (y/n) knew, is that she's staring straight at ray's enraged eyes, her body is pressed at the bookshelf behind her, and her collar a little bit tighter than how it's supposed to be seconds ago.

ray's temper got the best of him.

"i can't believe i'm talking to myself like this," ray gripped her collar as he stares at her with a miserable expression on his face, "you talk a lot, you don't even know what's happening to me!" he yelled, not letting go of the fabric.

(y/n) was distressed. she was only being honest and concerned about the boy. she wasn't thinking about what she's saying, and now she's scared she must've said something that triggered him. in this situation, that's the last thing she wanted to do to him.

the girl gently placed her hand on ray's cold ones, "i'm sorry for being insensitive. i'm here, i'm real and there's nothing wrong with you. i'll help you, ray, let's help each other," in panic, she reassured the devastated boy.

for a moment, she thought ray's eyes was a pair of beautiful dark green crystals in a fragile body. he looked like a small child, begging for help.

ray couldn't handle the sadness he felt, but refused to cry in front of the girl. he was still confused, scared to believe her. afraid to lose her once again if this is a dream. the poor boy was overwhelmed by his feelings.

suddenly, knocks filled the whole room and the doorknob turned, and the two didn't have the time to react when the door came flying open, revealing four figures outside the door.

"(y/n), we heard yelli- oh god, what are you doing ray?!" nat, who just opened the door widely so emma, don, and gilda who happens to be listening from the outside can see them, was cut short when she saw ray gripping (y/n)'s collar.

stumbling as he lets go of the girl's collar, ray's eyes widened in surprise.

"n-nat, who are you talking to?" asked ray who immediately took a step back from what he thought is a product of his imagination.

(y/n) fixes her collar all the while.

emma and the others stood silent, surprised that the boy whom they thought would be the first to rush to her side to check if the girls is fine, is the one who couldn't believe anything happening.

slowly, nat pointed a finger to the sister in front of them, "(y/n)."

"ray, i'm talking to (y/n)," he repeats.